Is there an easier way to integrate this equation using a triangle?

In summary, the conversation was about finding the integral of (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-3/2) dy for an Astronomy problem. The person tried using Integration by Parts but was unsure about how to handle the "y" in the equation. After some discussion, it was suggested to use trig substitution instead, specifically the substitution y = a*tan(t). However, there was some confusion about the correct formula to use, and it was recommended to draw a right triangle to better understand the problem and solve it more easily.
Philosophaie
I need to take the integral of an equation. I am trying to do Integration by Parts but I am coming up short.

I need to integrate (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-3/2) dy for a Astronomy problem.
I tried:

u = x^2 + y^2 + z^2
du = 2*y dy

v=u^(-3/2)
dv = -3/2*u^(-5/2)

I can not do anything with the "y" in du.

Can you help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Philosophaie said:
I need to take the integral of an equation.
First off, what you have below is NOT an equation -- an equation has two expressions with = in between.
Philosophaie said:
I am trying to do Integration by Parts but I am coming up short.

I need to integrate (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^(-3/2) dy for a Astronomy problem.
Like this?
$$\int (x^2 + y^2 + z^2)^{-3/2}dy$$

It would help to see the actual problem, to verify that the integral you set up is appropriate for the question. Assuming for the moment that you have the right integral, I don't think integration by parts is the way to go. I would use trig substitution instead.
Philosophaie said:
I tried:

u = x^2 + y^2 + z^2
du = 2*y dy

v=u^(-3/2)
dv = -3/2*u^(-5/2)

I can not do anything with the "y" in du.

Can you help?

If x, y, and z are independent variables, as they normally are, this is just [itex]\int (a^2+ y^2)^{3/2} dy[/itex] with [itex]a^2= x^2+ z^2[/itex]. The substitution [itex]y= asin(\theta)[/itex] shoud work.

HallsofIvy said:
If x, y, and z are independent variables, as they normally are, this is just [itex]\int (a^2+ y^2)^{3/2} dy[/itex] with [itex]a^2= x^2+ z^2[/itex]. The substitution [itex]y= asin(\theta)[/itex] shoud work.
The exponent is -3/2, per the OP.

Would it not be y = a*tan(t)?

For
img4.gif
set
img5.gif
. In this case we talk about sine-substitution.
For
img6.gif
set
img7.gif
. In this case we talk about tangent-substitution.
For
img8.gif
set
img9.gif
. In this case we talk about secant-substitution.
[tex]a = \sqrt{x^{2} + z^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]y = a*\tan{(t)}[/tex]
[tex]dy=a*(/sec{(t)})^2 dt[/tex]
[tex]t = \arctan{(\frac{x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}}{a})}[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{a*(\sec(t))^2}{(a^3 (\tan{(t)}^{3})}dt[/tex]

I get lost from here.

Philosophaie said:
Would it not be y = a*tan(t)?
Yes, this would be the right trig substitution.

Philosophaie said:
For
img4.gif
set
img5.gif
. In this case we talk about sine-substitution.
For
img6.gif
set
img7.gif
. In this case we talk about tangent-substitution.
For
img8.gif
set
img9.gif
. In this case we talk about secant-substitution.
[tex]a = \sqrt{x^{2} + z^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]y = a*\tan{(t)}[/tex]
[tex]dy=a*(/sec{(t)})^2 dt[/tex]
[tex]t = \arctan{(\frac{x^{2} + y^{2} + z^{2}}{a})}[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{a*(\sec(t))^2}{(a^3 (\tan{(t)}^{3})}dt[/tex]

I get lost from here.
The integral should be ##\int \frac{a\sec^2(t)dt}{a^3 \sec^3(t)}##

If you draw a right triangle with t as the acute angle, and the opposite side is y, adjacent side is a, the hypotenuse is ##\sqrt{y^2 + a^2}##. So ##\sec(t) = \frac{\sqrt{y^2 + a^2}}{a}##. Solve this equation for ##\sqrt{y^2 + a^2}## that is in the denominator.

[tex]\text{Where do you get "}(a*sec(t))^{3} \text{ in the denominator?}[/tex]
Mark44 said:
The integral should be ∫asec 2 (t)dta 3 sec 3 (t) \int \frac{a\sec^2(t)dt}{a^3 \sec^3(t)}

Last edited:
In the original integral, the denominator is ##(y^2 + a^2)^{3/2}##, right? Based on the trig substitution you chose, and on the right triangle I described, ##\sec(t) = \frac{\sqrt{y^2 + a^2}}{a} = \frac 1 a (y^2 + a^2)^{1/2}##, or ##(y^2 + a^2)^{1/2} = a \sec(t)##. Use this to rewrite what you started with in the denominator.

[tex] a*sec(t) \text{ does not equal }\sqrt{y^2 + a^2} [/tex]
[tex] a*\tan{(t)} = \sqrt{y^2 + a^2}[/tex]

Last edited:
Philosophaie said:
[tex] a*sec(t) \text{ does not equal }\sqrt{y^2 + a^2} [/tex]
[tex] a*\tan{(t)} = \sqrt{y^2 + a^2}[/tex]
No, this is not how things are in my triangle, which I described in an earlier post.

Snapshot.jpg

In my triangle, tan(t) = y/a and ##\sec(t) = \frac{\sqrt{y^2 + a^2}} a##

Have you actually drawn this triangle? I never bothered memorizing the formulas you wrote in post #5 -- I just draw a right triangle and label the sides and hypotenuse according to whether the expression in the radical is a sum or difference. If you don't use the triangle, you're doing things the hard way, IMO.

1. What is the definition of an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is essentially a way to calculate the total value of a function over a certain interval.

2. What is the purpose of finding the integral of an equation?

The purpose of finding the integral of an equation is to solve problems that involve calculating the total value of a function, such as finding the displacement of an object over time or calculating the total cost of a product given its varying price.

3. How do you find the integral of an equation?

The integral of an equation can be found using a variety of methods, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus or integration by substitution. These methods involve manipulating the equation and applying specific rules to find the integral.

4. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific limits of integration, meaning it calculates the total value of a function over a specific interval. An indefinite integral does not have limits of integration and represents the general solution to a given equation.

5. Can the integral of an equation be negative?

Yes, the integral of an equation can be negative. This can occur when the function being integrated has negative values or when the area under the curve falls below the x-axis. In these cases, the negative value represents the opposite direction or the negative contribution to the total value.