What are the criteria for identifying singularities in complex analysis?

In summary: Thanks for the help.In summary, the integral is undefined, because the integrand has a singularity at x=0.
Idoubt
I am getting two different answers with two different methods so can someone point out the error?
[itex]\int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2}dx[/itex] = 2 [itex]\int\limits_{0}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2}dx[/itex] = [itex] - \frac{2}{x} |_{0}^{\infty} = \infty [/itex]

[itex]\int\limits_{-\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^2}dx = - \frac{1}{x} |_{- \infty}^{\infty} [/itex] = 0

Physics news on Phys.org
The answer is simple: The integral is undefined, because the integrand has a singularity at [itex]x=0[/itex], and you must define, what you mean by your integral. Often, one likes to calculate the socalled "Cauch principle value", which is defined as
[tex]\text{PV} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \mathrm{d} x \frac{1}{x^2} = \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0^+} \left [\int_{-\infty}^{-\epsilon} \mathrm{d} x \frac{1}{x^2} + \int_{\epsilon}^{\infty} \mathrm{d} x \frac{1}{x^2} \right ].[/tex]
This means, you take out a little interval of the integration region that is symmetric around the singularity and then (i.e., after taking the integrals) make this interval arbitrarily small. Now, you can evalute this Cauchy principle value easily yourself :-).

BTW: This is only one possibility to make sense to a previously meaningless expression. Whether the principle value is what you really want or not has to be decided by the application you have in mind when solving this integral.

Strictly speaking neither of those is correct because an "ordinary" integral cannot be applied here.

What you need to do is take limits as x goes to 0. But there are two different ways to do that:

1) The way the standard integral is defined: take the limit as x goes to 0 from above and below independently:
[tex]\lim_{\alpha\to 0^-}\int_{-\infty}^\alpha \frac{1}{x^2}dx+ \lim_{\beta\to 0^+}= \lim_{\alpha\to 0^-}\left[-\frac{1}{x}\right]_{-\infty}^{\alpha}\left[-\frac{1}{x}\right]_{\beta}^\infty[/tex]. Here, NEITHER of those limits exist. The integral does not exist.

2) The "Cauchy Principle Value" (NOT the integral you learn in Calculus)
[tex]\lim_{\alpha\to 0}\int_{-\infty}^{-\alpha}\frac{1}{x^2}dx+ \int_{\alpha}^\infty \frac{1}{x^2}dx[/tex]
Here the two, with the same "[itex]\alpha[/itex]" cancel before the limit so the limit is 0.

Any time the integral itself exists, the "Cauchy Principle Value" is equal to the limit. When the integral does NOT exist (I would not say "equals infinity" but "does not exist"), the Cauchy Principal value might exist. But it is still NOT the standard integral.

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
Strictly speaking neither of those is correct because an "ordinary" integral cannot be applied here.

What you need to do is take limits as x goes to 0. But there are two different ways to do that:

1) The way the standard integral is defined: take the limit as x goes to 0 from above and below independently:
[tex]\lim_{\alpha\to 0^-}\int_{-\infty}^\alpha \frac{1}{x^2}dx+ \lim_{\beta\to 0^+}= \lim_{\alpha\to 0^-}\left[-\frac{1}{x}\right]_{-\infty}^{\alpha}\left[-\frac{1}{x}\right]_{\beta}^\infty[/tex]. Here, NEITHER of those limits exist. The integral does not exist.

2) The "Cauchy Principle Value" (NOT the integral you learn in Calculus)
[tex]\lim_{\alpha\to 0}\int_{-\infty}^{-\alpha}\frac{1}{x^2}dx+ \int_{\alpha}^\infty \frac{1}{x^2}dx[/tex]
Here the two, with the same "[itex]\alpha[/itex]" cancel before the limit so the limit is 0.

Any time the integral itself exists, the "Cauchy Principle Value" is equal to the limit. When the integral does NOT exist (I would not say "equals infinity" but "does not exist"), the Cauchy Principal value might exist. But it is still NOT the standard integral.

No, the limit does not exist: the sum equals ##2/\alpha##, which → ∞ as ##\alpha \to 0+##. Basically, we are adding up the areas under y = 1/x^2 to the left of ##x = -\alpha## and the right of ##x = \alpha##, and these two areas are positive and equal.

Thanks for all the replies...I think I understand now. I had thought it had something to do with the singularity at 0 but was unsure of how to deal with it. As I understand it, in this case even the Principle value diverges does it not? I often hear mathematicians say that an integral does not exist as opposed to it being infinite or it diverges, how do you distinguish between these?

Also is there some criteria for an integral not to exist if the integrand is is infinite at some point? For example a delta function has a formal infinity in it, but the integral over a delta function is still well defined. Also what is the criteria for a point to be called a singularity? I have done some complex analysis and I know simple poles, poles of higher order and essential singularities. I know that you can distinguish them from their corresponding Laurent expansions. But I have also encountered singularities that are finite valued which was not so clear to me. For example the series

[itex]\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty} \dfrac{z^n}{n^2}[/itex]

converges on the unit circle in the complex plane. It is finite on all points on the circle but is said to be singular at z=1. I don't know why this is singular or what kind of singularity this is...

What is an even function?

An even function is a type of mathematical function where the value of the function remains unchanged when the input variable is replaced by its negative counterpart. In other words, f(x) = f(-x) for all values of x.

Why is the integral of an even function different from other functions?

The integral of an even function is different from other functions because the area under the curve for an even function is symmetric about the y-axis. This means that the positive and negative areas cancel each other out, resulting in a simpler integration process.

What is the relationship between an even function and its integral?

The relationship between an even function and its integral can be seen in the fundamental theorem of calculus, which states that the integral of a function is the antiderivative of that function. In the case of an even function, the integral is also an even function.

How do you find the integral of an even function?

To find the integral of an even function, you can use a variety of integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or the method of partial fractions. However, due to the symmetry of even functions, it is often easier to integrate by using the properties of even functions.

What are some real-life applications of even functions and their integrals?

Even functions and their integrals have many real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, in physics, even functions can represent symmetrical forces or motion, while their integrals can be used to find the work done by these forces. In economics, even functions can be used to model symmetric demand or supply curves, and their integrals can represent the total revenue or cost of a product.