Integral of an Infinite Product: ideas?

In summary, the author is asking for a theorem that would enable him to integrate an unknown function g(x) uniformly. Unfortunately, he doesn't seem to be able to find a way to do so.
benorin
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Ok, so I want to integrate a general function defined by an infinite product, and let us assume that the product is nice (e.g., absolutely convergent, ect.).

So, without expanding into an infinite sum, how do I evaluate [tex]\int_{z=a}^{b}\left(\prod_{n=0}^{\infty}(1+f_{n}(z))\right) dz[/tex]

Let z be real or complex, according to your preference.

Thanx, I know you guys will me help out.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should work on finding closed forms for the product first.

Tide said:
I think you should work on finding closed forms for the product first.

The motivation for the prompt was to find a way to perform said integration when [tex]\{f_{n}(x)\}[/tex] is an unknown sequence of functions. Hence finding a closed form for the product is, well, rather difficult.

In that case it would seem that your question is akin to asking what is the general result of integrating an unknown function g(x). That's simply not possible except in very special cases where, e.g. you know the result of the integration and are trying to determine the function (e.g. inverse scattering problems, Volterra integral equation etc.)

I'm looking for a theorem

I'm looking for a theorem like unto [tex]\int_{z=a}^{b}\left(\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}f_{n}(z)\right) dz=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}\left(\int_{z=a}^{b}f_{n}(z)dz\right) \Leftrightarrow \sum_{n=0}^{N}f_{n}(z) \rightarrow F(z) \mbox{ uniformly as } N\rightarrow\infty[/tex].
Clearly, it is generally true that the intergral of a product is NOT the product of the integrals. But I had hoped for some condition, such as uniform convrgence, and something else, such as the interchange of the order of summation and integration, that would make the integration of infinite products nice.

I don't see how to do it. Anyone else?

Since you're going to infinity for the sum, could you change it to an integral?

1. What is an infinite product?

An infinite product is a mathematical expression that involves an infinite number of factors being multiplied together. It is similar to an infinite sum, where an infinite number of terms are added together.

2. How is an infinite product different from a finite product?

An infinite product continues infinitely, whereas a finite product has a fixed number of factors. Additionally, the behavior of an infinite product can be quite different from a finite product, as it can converge or diverge in unexpected ways.

3. What is the significance of taking the integral of an infinite product?

Integrals of infinite products are important in the study of complex numbers and complex analysis. They can also be used to approximate other functions, solve differential equations, and evaluate infinite sums.

4. Can all infinite products be integrated?

No, not all infinite products can be integrated. Some may not have a closed form solution, while others may not converge. Additionally, the integral of an infinite product may not always be well-defined.

5. What are some applications of the integral of an infinite product?

The integral of an infinite product has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to solve differential equations, approximate functions, and study complex numbers and their behavior. It also has applications in probability theory and number theory.