Integrating a Bessel Function with a Constant: Is This the Correct Approach?

In summary, the conversation discusses a Bessel function and its integral from 0 to infinity. The homework equations involve a constant 'a' and a substitution is suggested to solve the problem. One of the participants suggests a solution involving the substitution y = ax.
grepecs

Homework Statement

I've been given that the Bessel function

∫(J3/2(x)/x2)dx=1/2π (the integral goes from 0 to infinity).

Homework Equations

∫(J3/2(ax)/x2)dx,

where a is a constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

Is the following correct?

a2∫(J3/2(ax)/(ax)2)dx=a2/2π

(This is just a part of a triple integral. We are not asked nor expected to bother too much with the Bessel function, since it is not the focus of the problem).

Physics news on Phys.org
No, I think one of the 'a's goes away. Do the substitution again: y = ax. With a>0.

Likes 1 person
dextercioby said:
No, I think one of the 'a's goes away. Do the substitution again: y = ax. With a>0.

Oh, of course. I then get dx=dy/a, which solves the problem for me. Thanks!

What is the integral of Bessel function?

The integral of Bessel function is a mathematical expression that represents the area under the curve of a Bessel function. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ J(x), and it is calculated by taking the integral of the Bessel function over a specified range of x values.

What is the significance of the integral of Bessel function in physics?

The integral of Bessel function has various applications in physics, such as in the study of wave propagation, heat transfer, and electromagnetic fields. It is also used in the analysis of diffraction patterns and in solving differential equations.

How is the integral of Bessel function calculated?

The integral of Bessel function can be calculated using various techniques, such as integration by parts, substitution, or by using special properties of Bessel functions. In some cases, the integral may also be calculated numerically using numerical integration methods.

What is the relationship between the integral of Bessel function and the Bessel function itself?

The integral of Bessel function is closely related to the Bessel function itself. In fact, the Bessel function can be expressed as the derivative of the integral of Bessel function. This relationship is known as the Abel transform and is often used in solving differential equations.

Are there any special cases of the integral of Bessel function?

Yes, there are special cases of the integral of Bessel function, such as when the order of the Bessel function is an integer or half-integer. In these cases, the integral can be simplified to a closed form expression involving trigonometric functions.