1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of complex function

1. Apr 14, 2012 #1
    I'm looking for a function which has two simple poles, and whose integral along the positive real axis from 0 to infinity is equal to its integral along the positive imaginary axis.

I don't really know where to start. I'm looking at functions which have symmetry with respect to real/imaginary axes, i.e. if x is real, then f(x) = f(ix), which led me to consider things like f(z) = 1/(z^4) or f(z) = 1/(z^5), but those don't have simple poles and their integrals from 0 to infinity on the axes don't exist since they blow up at the origin. Any help is appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2012 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Try locating your poles symmetrically with respect to the two axes. Like along the line x=y.

4. Apr 15, 2012 #3
    After trying your suggestion with z1 = 1 + i, z2 = -1 - i, and f(z) = 1/((z - z1)*(z-z2)), I ended up with the integral over the imaginary axis being the negative of that over the real axis, so I located my poles on the line y = -x instead, and that solved the problem.
    Thanks for the help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook