1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of e^t*H(t)?

1. May 21, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

-∞ H(t)*e-2tdt

2. Relevant equations

See above.

3. The attempt at a solution

I know if I were just integrating H(t) by itself, I would get a ramp function. I also know e^-2t by itself will not converge for the given limits of +/- infinity. I just want to know what is going on when the two multiply together, and if integration by parts would serve me here (if it is even necessary?)?

I have tried to evaluate it with my graphing calculator, and it seems to say the answer is 1/2, though I'm not sure how it has arrived there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

H(t) is a step function. It's 1 if t>=0 and 0 if t<0. So H(t)f(t)=f(t) if t>=0 and 0 if t<0.

4. May 21, 2013 #3
    Why does my calculator give 1/2, then? If I follow your logic, then I should plug in my limits of inf and -inf to e^(-2t), and this gives me 0 -0.

5. May 21, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

e^(-2t) for the limits inf and -inf diverges, like you said before. I mean the function you are integrating vanishes where t is in (-inf,0) so you can ignore that part. Just use 0 as the lower bound instead of -inf.

6. May 21, 2013 #5
    Ahh, I totally understand now! Thanks for that last bit, it helped give my mind a kick. Essentially it's the same as integrating from 0 to inf of just e^-2t given that H(t) is 1 starting from 0 and going on to infinity! Thanks!

7. May 21, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are just evaluating the elementary integral
    [tex] \int_0^{\infty} e^{-2t} \, dt. [/tex]
    That's what H does: it zeros-out the part from t = -∞ to t = 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted