Calculating Integral of e^x/x - Find My Mistake

• Thread starter 3.1415926535
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation covers a variety of topics including the calculation of an integral, the use of word documents and virus protection, and the use of Google Docs. The conversation also includes a discussion about solving a particular integral and the use of the chain rule. Ultimately, the conversation ends with a reference to a Wikipedia page for the solution to the integral.
First of all, I want to clarify that i know the answer is Ei(x). I have found a way to calculate this integral but the result is definitely wrong Anyway, have a look and tell me where is my mistake
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dd4jpgg_1g8ztn3g5

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Many people (and I am one when I am not using my home computer where I know how strong my virus- protection is) will not open "word" files. They are notorious for harboring viruses.

HallsofIvy said:
Many people (and I am one when I am not using my home computer where I know how strong my virus- protection is) will not open "word" files. They are notorious for harboring viruses.

Really ? Didn't know that... Well, i can garentee it contains only calculus. Apart from that why why would someone upload a doc file with viruses to physics forums?? I hope i learn "latex" soon so i won't need these word documents

3.1415926535 said:
Really ? Didn't know that... Well, i can garentee it contains only calculus. Apart from that why why would someone upload a doc file with viruses to physics forums??
For at least two reasons: they knew that the file contained a virus and wanted to spread it; they didn't know the file contained a virus. For a person intent on spreading a computer virus, there is nothing sacrosanct about physicsforums.

How about googledocs?

It seems that you have missed 1/x in step 2. The final answer you got is just e^x +
c. How it can be? Can you check step no. 2?

Regarding MS word one can disable macros and defend from viruses. For me it worked!

Here is the google docs equation
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dd4jpgg_1g8ztn3g5

Last edited by a moderator:
n.karthick said:
It seems that you have missed 1/x in step 2. The final answer you got is just e^x +
c. How it can be? Can you check step no. 2?

Regarding MS word one can disable macros and defend from viruses. For me it worked!

I know it can't be e^x+c ... I didn't miss it! Check the google document du=1/x dx

e^lnx = x is true only if x>0 right? I tried conventional method to solve this integral and i got different answer. I have to check my answer.

Last edited:
It's the 5th line. [tex]u[/tex] is independent variable here, so [tex]u'=1[/tex].

n.karthick said:
e^lnx = x is true only if x>0 right? I tried conventional method to solve this integral and i got different answer. I have to check my answer.

Of course. There can't be a ln(-|x|)

losiu99 said:
It's the 5th line. [tex]u[/tex] is independent variable here, so [tex]u'=1[/tex].

Really? I thought that since u=g(x) u'=g'(x)=lnx'=1/x

n.karthick said:
Whatever way I try it is bouncing back to beginning.
Finally wikipedia page gave me the answer.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_integral
Gave you WHAT answer? That article doesn't explain where the error is...

losiu99 said:
Yes, you are having problems with the chain rule. If v = e^u, then dv/du = e^u, and dv = (e^u)du, which doesn't help solve the integral.
If you wanted to take dv/dx, then that would equal (dv/du)*(du/dx), but that's not what you're doing... (and won't help any)

Try this one:
[tex]e^x\sum_{i=1}^\infty(i-1)!x^{-i}[/tex]

[tex] e^{elnx} = e^x[/tex] ?

What is the purpose of calculating the integral of e^x/x?

The integral of e^x/x is used to solve various mathematical problems in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It is also a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to find the area under a curve.

Why is it important to find mistakes in the calculation of the integral of e^x/x?

Finding mistakes in the calculation of the integral of e^x/x is crucial in obtaining accurate results and avoiding errors in subsequent calculations. It also helps in understanding the concept better and improving problem-solving skills.

What are the common mistakes made while calculating the integral of e^x/x?

Some common mistakes include incorrect application of integration rules, missing or incorrect substitution, and errors in arithmetic. Another common mistake is forgetting to include the constant of integration.

How can I check if my calculation of the integral of e^x/x is correct?

You can check your calculation by differentiating the result. If you get the original function e^x/x, then your calculation is correct. You can also use online calculators or consult a math expert to verify your answer.

Can the integral of e^x/x be calculated using different methods?

Yes, there are various methods to calculate the integral of e^x/x, such as substitution, integration by parts, and partial fractions. The choice of method depends on the complexity of the function and the individual's preference.