1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of e

1. Jun 28, 2006 #1

Dae

The integral of e is e right? So if you were to take the integral of 24+e^(5t) (acceleration), it would be 24t+e^(5t) (velocity)?

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 28, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No. Don't forget to include the derivative of the exponent.

Remember that

[itex]
    \frac{d}
    {{dt}}e^{5t} = e^{5t} \cdot 5
    [/itex]

- Warren

4. Jun 28, 2006 #3

Dae

Alright, thanks for the help. :)

I see what you're saying there. However, that's when taking the derivative, and I don't understand how to apply that. If I were taking the integral of e^(5t)*5, the 5 would be a constant, so since the constant of just plain e^(5t) is 1.. how could the integral change? Does it become like Ce^(5t) after integrated? When you say I have to include the derivative, do you mean (24+e^u du)dt where u = 5t, du = 5. For some reason I'm leaning towards du = 5 dt, dt = 1/5 du, so its (1/5)*24 du + e^u * (1/5) du, which when integrated becomes (24t + e^(5t))/5.

I'm obviously confused. Maybe you could please show how to solve it for me? Integral of e

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2008
  5. Jun 28, 2006 #4

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Whoops! That's not right. Just because 5 is a constant doesn't mean 5 e^(5t) is a constant. It's not; it's still a function of t.

If you agree that the derivative of e^(5t) is 5 e^(5t), then you also have to agree that the integral of 5 e^(5t) is e^(5t) + C.

What I mean when I say "don't forget to include the derivative of 5t," I mean this:

You cannot directly integrate e^(5t). What you'd have to do is multiply it by 5 inside the integral sign, and divide it by 5 outside the integral sign, like this:

[itex]
    \int {e^{5t} dt = \frac{1}
    {5}} \int {5e^{5t} dt}
    [/itex]

Thus, the integral of e^(5t) is (1/5) e^(5t) + C.

We don't solve homework problems. We help you understand how to solve them.

- Warren

6. Jun 29, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

A lot of your problem is just sloppy thinking. You started by saying "The integral of e is e right?" No, the "integral of e" is NOT e. The integral of e (with respect to x) is ex since e is just a constant. If you MEANT that the integral of ex is ex (plus a constant NOT times a constant as you say) say that!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?