How can the integral of exp(-x^n) be proven using polar coordinates?

• Thread starter nonequilibrium
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the question is about proving the integral \int e^{-(x_1^2+\dots+x_\nu^2)^{k/2}} \mathrm d x and the solution involves using polar coordinates and substituting variables to simplify the integral. The final result is \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-|x|^k} \mathrm dx = \frac{\pi^{\nu/2} \Gamma \left( \frac{\nu}{k}+1 \right)}{\Gamma \left( \frac{\nu}{2} +1\right)}.
nonequilibrium
Hello,

How do I prove or find a proof for [itex] \int e^{-(x_1^2+\dots+x_\nu^2)^{k/2}} \mathrm d x = \frac{\pi^{\nu/2} \Gamma \left( \frac{\nu}{k}+1 \right)}{\Gamma \left( \frac{\nu}{2} +1\right)}[/itex]?

EDIT: I think I have it, and as I can't delete this thread, I will sketch the solution:
first of all, notice that proving it for the case of [itex]\nu = 1[/itex] is enough, because we can always go back to that specific case by using polar coordinates (replacing [itex]x_1^2 + \dots + x_\nu^2 \mapsto r^2[/itex]); and then:

[itex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-|x|^k} \mathrm dx = 2 \int_{0}^{+\infty} e^{-x^k} \mathrm dx[/itex] and if we substitute with y=x^k => [itex]\mathrm d y = k y^{(k-1)/k} \mathrm d x[/itex], this is equal to [itex]2\int_0^{+\infty} e^{-y} y^{\frac{1}{k}-1} \frac{1}{k} \mathrm d y = \frac{2}{k} \Gamma \left(\frac{1}{k} \right)[/itex] and using [itex]x \Gamma(x) = \Gamma(x+1)[/itex] we get:
[itex] \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} e^{-|x|^k} \mathrm dx = 2 \Gamma \left( \frac{1}{k} + 1 \right) = \frac{\pi^{1/2} \Gamma \left( \frac{1}{k}+1 \right)}{\Gamma \left( \frac{1}{2} +1\right)}[/itex]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Thank's a lot for sharing the solution!

1. What does the integral of exp(-x^n) represent?

The integral of exp(-x^n) represents the area under the curve of the function exp(-x^n) with respect to the variable x.

2. Is there a closed form solution for the integral of exp(-x^n)?

Unfortunately, there is no known closed form solution for the integral of exp(-x^n). However, it can be approximated using numerical methods.

3. How does the value of n affect the integral of exp(-x^n)?

The value of n affects the shape of the curve and therefore the area under the curve. As n increases, the curve becomes steeper and the integral value decreases.

4. Can the integral of exp(-x^n) be evaluated for negative values of n?

Yes, the integral of exp(-x^n) can be evaluated for negative values of n. However, it may result in complex numbers and is not typically used in real-world applications.

5. What are the practical applications of the integral of exp(-x^n)?

The integral of exp(-x^n) has various applications in physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. It is used to model processes that involve exponential decay, such as radioactive decay and chemical reactions.