Integral of f(x)*x: Is It Possible?

• I
  • Thread starter ddddd28
  • Start date
  • Tags
    integral
In summary, any function can be integrated with respect to x as long as it is continuous. The purpose of integration is to find the area under a curve of a function, which can be useful in various applications. To find the integral of f(x)*x, one can use the integration by parts method or the substitution method. There is no specific formula for finding this integral as it may vary depending on the function's complexity. Additionally, the integral of f(x)*x can be negative if the function has negative values or if the area under the curve is below the x-axis.
ddddd28
Is it possible to do an integral of f(x)*x without knowing f(x)?

Physics news on Phys.org
ddddd28 said:

If you know ##f(x)##, it is sometimes not even possible to express ##\int f(x) dx## using standard functions so you can expect this is also the case for ##xf(x)##, certainly when you don't know ##f(x)##!

Using integration by parts and letting u = x and dv = f(x)dx, we get

∫xf(x)dx = ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu = x∫f(x)dx - ∫f(x)dx​

which is probably the most that can be said about the matter.

zinq said:
Using integration by parts and letting u = x and dv = f(x)dx, we get

∫xf(x)dx = ∫udv = uv - ∫vdu = x∫f(x)dx - ∫f(x)dx​

which is probably the most that can be said about the matter.
I am afraid that you've made a mistake.
$$ ∫vdu ≠ ∫f(x)dx $$
you defined dv = f(x)dx, so it should be v = ∫ f(x)dx

Likes member 587159
Thank you for the correction! I should have written:

xf(w)dw = ∫xudv = uv]x - ∫xvdu = x∫xf(w)dw - ∫x(∫zf(w)dw)dz,​

or maybe I should have just left it at

∫f(w)dw = uv - ∫vdu​

and kept things simple.

zinq said:
Thank you for the correction! I should have written:

xf(w)dw = ∫xudv = uv]x - ∫xvdu = x∫xf(w)dw - ∫x(∫zf(w)dw)dz,​

or maybe I should have just left it at

∫f(w)dw = uv - ∫vdu​

and kept things simple.

What was wrong with ##x## as the variable in the first place?

"What was wrong with x as the variable in the first place?"

To be technically correct, it's best to express an integral that ends up as being a function of (say) x in terms of integrating some variable that is not x (it doesn't matter which one). That's called a "dummy variable".

This is just like writing a summation in terms of an arbitrary variable whose choice does not matter:

Σ K = 15
K=1​

could have been written with L or M or N, for example, in place of both instances of K.

If the integral is indefinite and ends up to be a function of (say) x, then it needs an x, of course, and the proper place for the x is as a constant of integration. (Even though after the integral is taken, x need not be thought of as a constant.)

I hope that was sufficiently confusing (:-)>.

zinq said:
"What was wrong with x as the variable in the first place?"

To be technically correct, it's best to express an integral that ends up as being a function of (say) x in terms of integrating some variable that is not x (it doesn't matter which one). That's called a "dummy variable".

If the integral is indefinite and ends up to be a function of (say) x, then it needs an x, of course, and the proper place for the x is as a constant of integration. (Even though after the integral is taken, x need not be thought of as a constant.)

I hope that was sufficiently confusing (:-)>.

Apart from a bit in the middle, that post is nonsense.

ddddd28 said:

Hi, if it is possible to say something on ##f##, as some restriction on particular functional space or if ##f## has particular properties, then sometimes it is possible to say something also for ##\int f(x)x dx##... in other cases it is the same to consider ##\int f(x) dx## as the integration by parts shows...

"Apart from a bit in the middle, that post is nonsense."

You are correct; I wrote "constant of integration" where I meant to say "limit of integration". I hope #7 no longer seems quite so nonsensical with that correction.

zinq said:
"Apart from a bit in the middle, that post is nonsense."

You are correct; I wrote "constant of integration" where I meant to say "limit of integration". I hope #7 no longer seems quite so nonsensical with that correction.

I think you mean a terminal, not a limit.

One correct term for the a or b in "the integral of f(x) from a to b, with respect to x" is "limit of integration". (a is the lower limit of integration; b is the upper limit.) There may be other words for the same thing that I am not aware of.

1. Can any function be integrated with respect to x?

Yes, any function can be integrated with respect to x, as long as it is continuous. This means that there are no breaks or discontinuities in the function.

2. What is the purpose of integrating a function with respect to x?

The purpose of integration is to find the area under a curve of a function. This can be useful in many applications, such as calculating volumes, distances, or work done.

3. How do you find the integral of f(x)*x?

To find the integral of f(x)*x, you can use the integration by parts method or the substitution method. These methods involve using algebraic manipulations and rules of integration to find the answer.

4. Is there a specific formula for finding the integral of f(x)*x?

There is no specific formula for finding the integral of f(x)*x. The method used to find the integral may vary depending on the specific function and its complexity.

5. Can the integral of f(x)*x be negative?

Yes, the integral of f(x)*x can be negative. This may occur if the function has negative values or if the area under the curve is below the x-axis. In this case, the integral would represent a negative value.