What is the integral of ln(secx + tanx)?

• Thread starter JamesGregory
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the integral of the secant function and ln(secx + tanx)dx. Various attempts were made, including using integration by parts and rewriting the integral, but it was concluded that there is no closed form answer in terms of elementary functions. The solution provided by user @ice109 involved the use of polylogarithmic functions.
JamesGregory
I was taking the integral of the secant function. Twice...
The first one is simple, but what is the integral of
ln(secx + tanx)dx?

I've tried a few things, the first being integration by parts with u = ln(secx + tanx+) and dv = dx
This just cancels in the end to 0 = 0
I also rewrote it as int[ln(1+sinx) - ln(cosx)]dx but that doesn't seem to be any easier.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't have a closed form answer in terms of elementary functions.

sure it does, unless you consider the polylog erudite:

[tex]
\frac{1}{2} \left(\pi \left(i x+\text{Log}\left[-\text{Sin}\left[\frac{1}{4} (\pi -2 x)\right]\right]-\text{Log}[1+i \text{Cos}[x]-\text{Sin}[x]]-\text{Log}[1-i
\text{Cos}[x]+\text{Sin}[x]]+\text{Log}\left[\text{Sin}\left[\frac{1}{4} (\pi +2 x)\right]\right]\right)+2 x \left(2 i \text{ArcTan}\left[e^{i x}\right]+\text{Log}[\text{Sec}[x]+\text{Tan}[x]]\right)+2
i \text{PolyLog}\left[2,i e^{i x}\right]-2 i \text{PolyLog}[2,-i \text{Cos}[x]+\text{Sin}[x]]\right)[/tex]

lol off screen. whatever it's in the body of the post, just click quote or something

Last edited:
Elementary functions are finite combinations and compositions of algebraic, logarithmic, and exponential functions. Polylog obviously doesn't fit that description.

yea you're right

@ice109: How do you get that formula? (The one that involves PolyLog)

Thank you!

1. What is the formula for the integral of ln(secx + tanx)?

The integral of ln(secx + tanx) can be solved using the substitution method, where u = secx + tanx and du = secx tanx dx. This results in the integral becoming ln(u)du, which can then be solved using integration by parts.

2. Is there a simpler way to solve the integral of ln(secx + tanx)?

No, using the substitution method and integration by parts is the most efficient way to solve the integral of ln(secx + tanx). Other methods, such as partial fractions, may also work but can be more complicated and time-consuming.

3. Can the integral of ln(secx + tanx) be solved without using trigonometric substitutions?

Yes, it is possible to solve the integral of ln(secx + tanx) using a u-substitution where u = cosx. However, this method can become more complicated compared to using trigonometric substitutions.

4. How can the integral of ln(secx + tanx) be applied in real-life situations?

The integral of ln(secx + tanx) can be used in physics and engineering to calculate the work done by a variable force, where the force varies as the angle between the force and displacement changes. It is also used in finance and economics to calculate the logarithmic utility function.

5. Are there any special cases when solving the integral of ln(secx + tanx)?

Yes, when the limits of integration are from 0 to π/2, the integral of ln(secx + tanx) simplifies to ln(2). Additionally, when the limits of integration are from 0 to -π/2, the integral becomes -ln(2).