1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of ln

1. Jul 2, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    [itex]f(x)=\int\frac{x+1}{x^2+2x}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I know that this can be solved with substitution. I'm wondering why I get the wrong answer when using this other method...

[itex]f(x)=\int\frac{x+1}{x^2+2x}[/itex]

[itex]=\int\frac{x}{x^2+2x}+\frac{1}{x^2+2x}[/itex]

[itex]=\int\frac{1}{x+2}+\int\frac{1}{x^2+2}[/itex]

[itex]=ln(x+2)+ln(x^2+2) + c[/itex]

I could simplify more, but it's wrong. It should be [itex].5(x^2+2) + c[/itex]

I'm guessing that [itex]\int\frac{1}{x^2+2}\neq ln(x^2+2)[/itex] so in what cases does [itex]\int \frac{1}{x} = ln(x) + c[/itex] not hold?? I just learned this stuff today so any answers will have to be rather explicit please.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2012 #2
    This.

d/dx ln(x2+2) = 2x/(x2+2), which is obviously not equal to 1/(x2+2). Never forget the chain rule.

To integrate 1/(x2+2), you need to use trigonometric substitution.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
  4. Jul 2, 2012 #3
    Don't know that yet. So I guess that any time there's a nested function then ∫(1/x) dx=ln(x)+c doesn't hold?

5. Jul 2, 2012 #4
    Do you know of the chain rule?

6. Jul 2, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course [itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{x}\,dx=\ln|x|+C[/itex] always holds.

What doesn't hold in general is [itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{f(x)}\,dx=\ln|f(x)|+C[/itex]

7. Jul 2, 2012 #6
    Yes, I meant I don't know trig substitution.

8. Jul 2, 2012 #7
    Could you provide a few examples please?

9. Jul 2, 2012 #8

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You did this problem the hard way, by splitting in into two integrals. An easy substitution will do the trick.

Let u = x2 + 2x, so du = (2x + 2)dx
    Notice any similarity to the numerator of your original integral?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  10. Jul 2, 2012 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not a trig substitution. It's a u substitution. Try putting u=x^2+2x. What is du?

11. Jul 2, 2012 #10
    To the above two posts -

I know it's not trig substitution, I only mentioned I don't know that because it was mentioned by someone else. U-sub is easy, but I was trying to solve it this way because I'm trying to get a handle on derivatives and integrals of ln(x)

12. Jul 2, 2012 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you don't want to do it the easy way using U-sub, then you'll need to do partial fractions on the second integral. Do you know that?

13. Jul 2, 2012 #12
    Or complete the square and use a trig substitution?

14. Jul 2, 2012 #13

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If doing it the hard way isn't enough and you want to do it the REALLY hard way, that should work.

15. Jul 3, 2012 #14

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For instance, if f(x) = x2, then

[itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{f(x)}\,dx=\int\frac{1}{x^2}\,dx=\int x^{-2}\,dx=-x^{-1}+C\ne\ln(x^2)+C[/itex]

16. Jul 3, 2012 #15

Mentallic

Homework Helper

[tex]\int\frac{1}{x}dx=\ln|x|+c[/tex] only holds because [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\ln|x|+c\right)[/tex][tex]=\frac{1}{x}\cdot \frac{d}{dx}(x)=\frac{1}{x}[/tex] by use of the chain rule, while, in general, [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\ln|f(x)|+c\right)[/tex][tex]=\frac{1}{f(x)}\cdot\frac{d}{dx}f(x)=\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}[/tex]

So if you have some f(x) in the denominator that needs integrating, unless the numerator is the derivative of the denomintor (or at least a constant multiplied by the derivative) then you can't take the log.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook