Why I'm Getting Wrong Answer With This Method: f(x)=\int\frac{x+1}{x^2+2x}

• Thread starter e^(i Pi)+1=0
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Method
In summary, the conversation discusses the incorrect use of a method to solve the integral of (x+1)/(x^2+2x). The correct method is to use substitution, but the conversation also mentions the possibility of using partial fractions or a trigonometric substitution. The conversation also clarifies that the statement ∫ (1/x)dx = ln|x| + c only holds when the numerator is the derivative of the denominator, and provides an example of when this statement does not hold.
e^(i Pi)+1=0

Homework Statement

[itex]f(x)=\int\frac{x+1}{x^2+2x}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that this can be solved with substitution. I'm wondering why I get the wrong answer when using this other method...

[itex]f(x)=\int\frac{x+1}{x^2+2x}[/itex]

[itex]=\int\frac{x}{x^2+2x}+\frac{1}{x^2+2x}[/itex]

[itex]=\int\frac{1}{x+2}+\int\frac{1}{x^2+2}[/itex]

[itex]=ln(x+2)+ln(x^2+2) + c[/itex]

I could simplify more, but it's wrong. It should be [itex].5(x^2+2) + c[/itex]

I'm guessing that [itex]\int\frac{1}{x^2+2}\neq ln(x^2+2)[/itex] so in what cases does [itex]\int \frac{1}{x} = ln(x) + c[/itex] not hold?? I just learned this stuff today so any answers will have to be rather explicit please.

Physics news on Phys.org
e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
I'm guessing that ∫ 1/(x2+2) dx ≠ ln(x2+2)

This.

d/dx ln(x2+2) = 2x/(x2+2), which is obviously not equal to 1/(x2+2). Never forget the chain rule.

To integrate 1/(x2+2), you need to use trigonometric substitution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know that yet. So I guess that any time there's a nested function then ∫(1/x) dx=ln(x)+c doesn't hold?

Do you know of the chain rule?

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
Don't know that yet. So I guess that any time there's a nested function then ∫(1/x) dx=ln(x)+c doesn't hold?
Of course [itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{x}\,dx=\ln|x|+C[/itex] always holds.

What doesn't hold in general is [itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{f(x)}\,dx=\ln|f(x)|+C[/itex]

Harrisonized said:
Do you know of the chain rule?

Yes, I meant I don't know trig substitution.

SammyS said:
Of course [itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{x}\,dx=\ln|x|+C[/itex] always holds.

What doesn't hold in general is [itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{f(x)}\,dx=\ln|f(x)|+C[/itex]

Could you provide a few examples please?

You did this problem the hard way, by splitting in into two integrals. An easy substitution will do the trick.

Let u = x2 + 2x, so du = (2x + 2)dx
Notice any similarity to the numerator of your original integral?

Last edited:
e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
Yes, I meant I don't know trig substitution.

It's not a trig substitution. It's a u substitution. Try putting u=x^2+2x. What is du?

To the above two posts -

I know it's not trig substitution, I only mentioned I don't know that because it was mentioned by someone else. U-sub is easy, but I was trying to solve it this way because I'm trying to get a handle on derivatives and integrals of ln(x)

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
To the above two posts -

I know it's not trig substitution, I only mentioned I don't know that because it was mentioned by someone else. U-sub is easy, but I was trying to solve it this way because I'm trying to get a handle on derivatives and integrals of ln(x)

If you don't want to do it the easy way using U-sub, then you'll need to do partial fractions on the second integral. Do you know that?

Dick said:
If you don't want to do it the easy way using U-sub, then you'll need to do partial fractions on the second integral.

Or complete the square and use a trig substitution?

Bohrok said:
Or complete the square and use a trig substitution?

If doing it the hard way isn't enough and you want to do it the REALLY hard way, that should work.

SammyS said:

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:

For instance, if f(x) = x2, then

[itex]\displaystyle \int \frac{1}{f(x)}\,dx=\int\frac{1}{x^2}\,dx=\int x^{-2}\,dx=-x^{-1}+C\ne\ln(x^2)+C[/itex]

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:

[tex]\int\frac{1}{x}dx=\ln|x|+c[/tex] only holds because [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\ln|x|+c\right)[/tex][tex]=\frac{1}{x}\cdot \frac{d}{dx}(x)=\frac{1}{x}[/tex] by use of the chain rule, while, in general, [tex]\frac{d}{dx}\left(\ln|f(x)|+c\right)[/tex][tex]=\frac{1}{f(x)}\cdot\frac{d}{dx}f(x)=\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)}[/tex]

So if you have some f(x) in the denominator that needs integrating, unless the numerator is the derivative of the denomintor (or at least a constant multiplied by the derivative) then you can't take the log.

1. Why is the answer I'm getting with this method different from the expected answer?

This could be due to a variety of reasons. It is possible that you made a mistake in your calculations or inputting the problem. It is also possible that there is a typo in the problem or the expected answer. It is important to carefully check your work and make sure all steps are correct.

2. Is the method I'm using the correct one for this type of problem?

There are multiple methods for solving integration problems, so it is important to make sure you are using the correct one for the specific problem at hand. It is best to consult with a teacher or textbook to confirm the correct method.

3. Can I use a calculator to solve this problem?

While some calculators may have integration capabilities, it is important to understand the steps and concepts behind the problem rather than relying solely on a calculator. It is also possible that the calculator may give an incorrect answer due to rounding errors or other factors.

4. Are there any common mistakes to watch out for when solving this type of problem?

Yes, some common mistakes when solving integration problems include incorrect substitution, forgetting to use the chain rule, and mistakes in basic algebraic calculations. It is important to double check your work and practice solving similar problems to avoid these mistakes.

5. Can I check my answer to see if it is correct?

Yes, there are various methods for checking the correctness of an integration problem. One method is to take the derivative of your answer and see if it matches the original function. Another method is to use a graphing calculator to plot the original function and your answer and see if they overlap. It is always a good idea to check your work to ensure accuracy.