What is the Integral of Modified Bessel Function using Integral Representation?

In summary, by using the integral representation of the modified Bessel function and making a change of variables, the integral \int_{0}^{\infty} dk K_{0}(kr) can be evaluated as \frac{\pi}{2r} . The process involves simplifying the integrals to Gaussian form and using the definition of the delta function to simplify further.
qasdc

Homework Statement

I need to evaluate the following integral:
[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} dk K_{0}(kr) [/tex]
, where [tex] K_{0}(x) [/tex] is the modified Bessel, using the integral representation:
[tex] K_{0}(x)=\int_{0}^{\infty} dt \frac{cos (xt)}{ \sqrt{t^2 +1}} [/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a standard integral that can be found in tables. If you want to explicitly do the integral, you should write

[tex] \cos xt = \frac{1}{2} \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \left( e^{-\epsilon x^2 +i xt} + e^{-\epsilon x^2 -i xt} \right) [/tex]

to improve the convergence of the [tex]x[/tex] integral. You will be able to set [tex]\epsilon = 0[/tex] after making a change of variables for the [tex] t[/tex] integral without encountering any divergences.

fzero thank you for your reply.
Yes, I need to do the intergal step by step, otherwise I could get it from mathematica.
The answer I get form mathematica is [tex] \frac{\pi}{2r} [/tex]
In your reply, I suppose that the first term in each exponential is [tex] - \epsilon t^2 [/tex] rather than [tex] - \epsilon x^2 [/tex].
How should I proceed after the substitution for [tex] \cos (xt) [/tex]?

qasdc said:
fzero thank you for your reply.
Yes, I need to do the intergal step by step, otherwise I could get it from mathematica.
The answer I get form mathematica is [tex] \frac{\pi}{2r} [/tex]
In your reply, I suppose that the first term in each exponential is [tex] - \epsilon t^2 [/tex] rather than [tex] - \epsilon x^2 [/tex].
How should I proceed after the substitution for [tex] \cos (xt) [/tex]?

I did the x integration first, so I wanted those to be Gaussian integrals, hence you need [tex] - \epsilon x^2 [/tex], not [tex] - \epsilon t^2 [/tex]. The x integral is then a Gaussian (you need to complete a square), you write the results down in terms of [tex]\epsilon[/tex]. The t-integral also becomes a Gaussian, but you can simplify it by changing variables and taking [tex]\epsilon[/tex] to zero.

So,
[tex] \int_{0}^{\infty} dk K_{0}(kr)=\frac{1}{r}\int_{0}^{\infty} dx K_{0}(x)=\frac{1}{r}\int_{0}^{\infty} dx \int_{0}^{\infty} dt \frac{\cos (xt)}{\sqrt{t^2 +1}}= [/tex]
[tex] =\frac{1}{4r}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dt \frac{\cos (xt)}{\sqrt{t^2 +1}}= \frac{1}{4r}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dx \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dt \frac{1}{\sqrt{t^2 +1}}\frac{1}{2} \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \left( e^{-\epsilon x^2 +i xt} + e^{-\epsilon x^2 -i xt} \right)=[/tex]
[tex] =\frac{1}{4r} \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{\sqrt{\epsilon}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dt \frac{e^{\frac{-t^2}{4\epsilon}}}{\sqrt{t^2+1}} [/tex]

Now, at this point I do not know how to proceed. Any help?

Change variables to [tex]s=t/(2\sqrt{\epsilon})[/tex].

I found it.
Using the following definition of the delta function:
[tex] \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \frac{1}{\sqrt{\epsilon}}e^{-\frac{t^2}{4\epsilon}} =2\sqrt{\pi}\delta(t)[/tex]
we find that,
[tex]
=\frac{1}{4r} \lim_{\epsilon \rightarrow 0} \frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{\sqrt{\epsilon}}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dt \frac{e^{\frac{-t^2}{4\epsilon}}}{\sqrt{t^2+1}} =\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{4r} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}dt \frac{1}{\sqrt{t^2+1}}2\sqrt{\pi}\delta(t) = \frac{\pi}{2r}
[/tex]

Thanks a lot for your help fzero!

1. What is the definition of the integral of modified Bessel function?

The integral of modified Bessel function is a mathematical expression that represents the area under the curve of a modified Bessel function. It is calculated by taking the limit of a definite integral as the upper bound approaches infinity.

2. What is the significance of the integral of modified Bessel function in science and engineering?

The integral of modified Bessel function is commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics to solve problems involving oscillatory systems, signal processing, and probability distributions. It also has applications in solving differential equations and calculating certain types of integrals.

3. How is the integral of modified Bessel function calculated?

The integral of modified Bessel function can be calculated using various methods such as numerical integration techniques, series expansion, or special functions in mathematical software. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the function and the desired accuracy of the result.

4. What is the relationship between the integral of modified Bessel function and the Bessel function?

The integral of modified Bessel function is closely related to the Bessel function, as it is the inverse of the latter. In other words, the Bessel function can be obtained by taking the derivative of the integral of modified Bessel function, and vice versa.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the integral of modified Bessel function?

Yes, the integral of modified Bessel function has practical applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and signal processing. For example, it is used to model the behavior of vibrational systems, calculate the probability distribution of random signals, and solve certain types of differential equations. It is also used in image processing, specifically in the reconstruction of images from their Fourier transform.