Integral of Open Set Homework: The Attempt at a Solution

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a norm space and a sequence of functions. The first part involves proving the closure of a set, while the second part involves proving the continuity of a function. The conversation also touches on the concept of uniform continuity and the use of epsilon in proofs. The conversation also discusses the importance of properly defining variables and using correct notation in mathematical proofs.
cummings12332

Homework Statement

2.png

The Attempt at a Solution

for part A i assume that f is in norm space C[0,1],||.|| , then choose a sequence fn in C[o,1] s.t fn->f then for 0<fn<1 so 0<f<1 i.e. A is closed i am not sure my answer here

for part B i assume the anti-derivatice of f(t) to be K(t)+c therefore, by F(f)=2K(1/2)+1/2-K(1)-K(0) then how should i prove it is cts ?

Physics news on Phys.org
cummings12332 said:

Homework Statement

View attachment 53601

The Attempt at a Solution

for part A i assume that f is in norm space C[0,1],||.|| , then choose a sequence fn in C[o,1] s.t fn->f then for 0<fn<1 so 0<f<1 i.e. A is closed i am not sure my answer here

I don't see how that proves anything. You need to prove that if [itex]f_n[/itex] is a convergent sequence in A such that [itex]f_n\rightarrow f[/itex], that then [itex]f[/itex] is an element of A.

for part B i assume the anti-derivatice of f(t) to be K(t)+c therefore, by F(f)=2K(1/2)+1/2-K(1)-K(0) then how should i prove it is cts ?

OK, but that doesn't really help. What definition of continuous would you like to use here? Can you state it?

Also, it would be a great help for us if you would type your posts in LaTeX: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3

δ
micromass said:
I don't see how that proves anything. You need to prove that if [itex]f_n[/itex] is a convergent sequence in A such that [itex]f_n\rightarrow f[/itex], that then [itex]f[/itex] is an element of A.
OK, but that doesn't really help. What definition of continuous would you like to use here? Can you state it?

Also, it would be a great help for us if you would type your posts in LaTeX: https://www.physicsforums.com/showpost.php?p=3977517&postcount=3

if [itex]f_n[/itex] is a convergent sequence in A such that [itex]f_n\rightarrow f[/itex], then for [itex]f_n[/itex] is in A , A is a subset of C[0,1] so fn is bounded by 0 and 1 and continuous on [0,1] so fn is uniformly continuous to f ,then f is bouded by 0,1 which is in A?

and secound part if i use the definition of continuous , then exists a δ,s.t. |f(x)-f(y)|<δ implies that |F(f(x))-F(g(x))|<esillope . and just fixed the esillope . and i can solve it out now many thanks

Last edited:
cummings12332 said:
if [itex]f_n[/itex] is a convergent sequence in A such that [itex]f_n\rightarrow f[/itex], then for [itex]f_n[/itex] is in A , A is a subset of C[0,1] so fn is bounded by 0 and 1 and continuous on [0,1] so fn is uniformly continuous to f ,then f is bouded by 0,1 which is in A?

Sure. But can you actually prove that f is bounded by 0 and 1? Once you proven that, I agree that the above shows that A is closed.

and secound part if i use the definition of continuous , then exists a δ,s.t. |f(x)-f(y)|<δ implies that |F(f(x))-F(g(x))|<esillope . and just fixed the esillope . and i can solve it out now many thanks

Protip: we usually talk about epsilon instead of esillope

OK, so you you need to make [itex]|F(f)-F(g)|[/itex] small somehow by making [itex]\|f-g\|_\infty[/itex] small. So, let us start by writing

[tex]|F(f)-F(g)|=\left|\int_0^{1/2}f(t)dt + \int_{1/2}^1 (1-f(t))dt - \int_0^{1/2} g(t)dt - \int_{1/2}^1 (1-g(t))dt\right|[/tex]

Try to find a good estimation for that.

micromass said:
Sure. But can you actually prove that f is bounded by 0 and 1? Once you proven that, I agree that the above shows that A is closed.

Protip: we usually talk about epsilon instead of esillope

OK, so you you need to make [itex]|F(f)-F(g)|[/itex] small somehow by making [itex]\|f-g\|_\infty[/itex] small. So, let us start by writing

[tex]|F(f)-F(g)|=\left|\int_0^{1/2}f(t)dt + \int_{1/2}^1 (1-f(t))dt - \int_0^{1/2} g(t)dt - \int_{1/2}^1 (1-g(t))dt\right|[/tex]

Try to find a good estimation for that.

i not sure how to prove that 0<f<1 ,which way should i begin with??

cummings12332 said:
i not sure how to prove that 0<f<1 ,which way should i begin with??

You should not prove 0<f<1, you should prove [itex]0\leq f\leq 1[/itex].

Start by fixing an [itex]x\in [0,1][/itex]. Then try to deduce from [itex]f_n(x)\rightarrow f(x)[/itex] that [itex]0\leq f(x)\leq 1[/itex].

micromass said:
You should not prove 0<f<1, you should prove [itex]0\leq f\leq 1[/itex].

Start by fixing an [itex]x\in [0,1][/itex]. Then try to deduce from [itex]f_n(x)\rightarrow f(x)[/itex] that [itex]0\leq f(x)\leq 1[/itex].

for me ,it is obviouse. [itex]0\leq f_n\leq 1[/itex]. then max fn =1, min fn =0 and limfn =f so by sanwich rule [itex]0\leq f(x)\leq 1[/itex] i just don't know how should i prove that f is bounded by [0,1] here

cummings12332 said:
for me ,it is obviouse. [itex]0\leq f_n\leq 1[/itex]. then max fn =1, min fn =0

Why should [itex]\max f_n=1[/itex] and [itex]\min f_n=0[/itex]?? That's really weird.
For example, take the map

[tex]f_n:[0,1]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow x\rightarrow \frac{1}{n}[/tex]

then the [itex]\max f_n=\min f_n=\frac{1}{n}[/itex].

i just don't know how should i prove that f is bounded by [0,1] here

You're really making it harder than it is. I'm just asking you that if [itex](y_n)_n[/itex] is a convergent sequence with [itex]y_n\rightarrow y[/itex], and if [itex]0\leq y_n\leq 1[/itex], then [itex]0\leq y\leq 1[/itex]. It doesn't even have anything to do with functions.

micromass said:
Why should [itex]\max f_n=1[/itex] and [itex]\min f_n=0[/itex]?? That's really weird.
For example, take the map

[tex]f_n:[0,1]\rightarrow \mathbb{R}:x\rightarrow x\rightarrow \frac{1}{n}[/tex]

then the [itex]\max f_n=\min f_n=\frac{1}{n}[/itex].

You're really making it harder than it is. I'm just asking you that if [itex](y_n)_n[/itex] is a convergent sequence with [itex]y_n\rightarrow y[/itex], and if [itex]0\leq y_n\leq 1[/itex], then [itex]0\leq y\leq 1[/itex]. It doesn't even have anything to do with functions.

omg! that's what i thought at the beginning! many thanks !

What is an open set?

An open set in mathematics is a set of points where every point has a neighborhood that is completely contained within the set. In other words, there are no boundary points in an open set.

What is an integral?

In mathematics, an integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is a fundamental concept in calculus and is used to solve problems related to finding areas, volumes, and other quantities in mathematics and physics.

What is the purpose of finding the integral of an open set?

The purpose of finding the integral of an open set is to calculate the area under the curve that represents the function defined on the open set. This can help in finding the average value of the function, the total change of the function, and other important properties related to the function.

What are the different methods for finding the integral of an open set?

There are several methods for finding the integral of an open set, including the Riemann integral, the Lebesgue integral, and the Darboux integral. Each method has its own set of rules and properties, and the choice of method depends on the nature of the function and the open set.

What are some real-world applications of finding the integral of an open set?

Finding the integral of an open set has numerous real-world applications, including calculating the work done by a force, finding the average value of a quantity over a given interval, and determining the total change in a physical quantity over a period of time. It is also used in many engineering and scientific fields such as physics, chemistry, and economics.