1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of polar curve

1. Apr 16, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The graph of the polar curve r=2-cosΘ for 0≤θ≤2pi is shown in the figure. (attached)

a) write an integral expression for the area of the region inside the curve

b) write expressions for dx/dΘ and dy/dΘ in terms of Θ

c) find dy/dx as a function of Θ

d) write an equation in terms of x and y for the line tangent to the graph of the polar curve at the point where Θ=pi/2. show the work that lead to your answer.

2. Relevant equations

to find are under a curve you find integral under the curve

3. The attempt at a solution
    the solutions are:
    a) 2*(1/2) ∫(0 to pi) (2-cosΘ)2

b) dx/dΘ = -2sinΘ + 2(cosΘ)(sinΘ)

dy/dΘ = 2cosΘ-cos2Θ + sin2Θ

c) dy/dx = (2cosΘ-cos2Θ +sin2θ) / (-2sinθ + 2(cosθ)(sinθ))

So, i tried part A but could not figure out the area of the region because if you did a regular integral of ∫(2-cosθ), according to the graph the region above and below the x-axis would cancel out, resulting in an answer of 0.
    i understand that you might have to change the equation into a semi-circle by multiplying 1/2 then later have to undo that by multiplying by 2.
    i dont understand why they took (2-cosθ) and squared it...? also why the limits of integration are 0 to pi, not 0 to 2pi???

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2014 #2

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have answered your own final question.

Do you really understand as the above statement claims? It almost answers the following.

Except that taking the limits of integration from 0 to π is what gives a semi-circle rather than multiplying by 1/2 .

4. Apr 16, 2014 #3

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

it looks like to me they (for a)they just simplified.

What you want is the area here: r=2-cosΘ for 0≤θ≤2pi

What you start out with is: [itex]∫_{E}dA[/itex] Then you begin to make substitutions. and you're right, you can't do a standard integral, so you have to break your region (E) up into to parts, from 0 to pi, and from pi to 2 pi, so now we have [itex]2∫_{0}^{\pi}dA[/itex], but what is dA? In polar it's rdrdΘ.

Now what we have is [itex]2∫_{0}^{\pi}∫_{0}^{2-cos(\theta
    )}rdrd\theta[/itex]
    This gives you [itex]2∫_{0}^{pi}\frac{r^2}{2}d\theta|_{r=0}^{r=2-cos(\theta)}[/itex]

evaluate it and theres a)

5. Apr 16, 2014 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I don't think that's what they did. Consider a triangle subtended at the origin by the segment of the curve starting at (r, θ) and length rdθ. What is its area?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted