Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of rational functions

1. Feb 18, 2004 #1
    Can someone pls help me solve this integral?

integral of (6x^2-13x-43)dx/(x^3-1x^2-8x+12)

it's supposed to be solved using partial fractions, but I am having trouble factoring the denom correctly so I can apply it...

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 18, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

2 appears to be a root of the denominator, but why did you specify the coeff of the x^2 term? it appears to be a typo because of it.

4. Feb 18, 2004 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There's a very useful theorem about rational roots of an integer polynomial:

Theorem: If [itex]y[/itex] is a rational number that is a root of the polynomial

[tex]f(x) = a_0 + a_1 x + \ldots + a_n x^n \quad (a_n \neq 0)[/tex]

Then [itex]y[/itex] can be written as [itex]p / q[/itex] for some integers [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex] where [itex]p | a_0[/itex] and [itex]q | a_n[/itex].

([itex]a | b[/itex] means "a divides b")

Using this theorem, if [itex]x^3 - x^2 - 8x + 12[/itex] has a rational root, then it can be written in the form [itex]p/q[/itex] where [itex]p \in \{1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, 6, -6, 12, -12\}[/itex] and [itex]q \in \{1, -1\}[/itex]. Only 12 possibilities to try, so if one exists you can find it by exhaustion. :smile:

When trying to factor large polynomials, this is usually a good place to start.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?