Integral of rational functions

In summary, the person is asking for help solving an integral using partial fractions and is having trouble factoring the denominator correctly. They mention a useful theorem about rational roots of an integer polynomial and suggest trying 12 possibilities to find a solution.
iamtheman
Can someone pls help me solve this integral?

integral of (6x^2-13x-43)dx/(x^3-1x^2-8x+12)

it's supposed to be solved using partial fractions, but I am having trouble factoring the denom correctly so I can apply it...

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
2 appears to be a root of the denominator, but why did you specify the coeff of the x^2 term? it appears to be a typo because of it.

it's supposed to be solved using partial fractions, but I am having trouble factoring the denom correctly so I can apply it...

There's a very useful theorem about rational roots of an integer polynomial:

Theorem: If [itex]y[/itex] is a rational number that is a root of the polynomial

[tex]f(x) = a_0 + a_1 x + \ldots + a_n x^n \quad (a_n \neq 0)[/tex]

Then [itex]y[/itex] can be written as [itex]p / q[/itex] for some integers [itex]p[/itex] and [itex]q[/itex] where [itex]p | a_0[/itex] and [itex]q | a_n[/itex].

([itex]a | b[/itex] means "a divides b")

Using this theorem, if [itex]x^3 - x^2 - 8x + 12[/itex] has a rational root, then it can be written in the form [itex]p/q[/itex] where [itex]p \in \{1, -1, 2, -2, 3, -3, 4, -4, 6, -6, 12, -12\}[/itex] and [itex]q \in \{1, -1\}[/itex]. Only 12 possibilities to try, so if one exists you can find it by exhaustion. :smile:

When trying to factor large polynomials, this is usually a good place to start.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of an integral of a rational function?

The integral of a rational function is the inverse operation of differentiation. It is a mathematical process that calculates the area under the curve of a rational function.

2. How do you solve an integral of a rational function?

To solve an integral of a rational function, you can use various methods such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. The specific method used will depend on the complexity of the rational function.

3. What is the importance of finding the integral of a rational function?

Finding the integral of a rational function allows us to calculate the area under the curve, which has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It also helps us to solve differential equations and evaluate complex mathematical expressions.

4. Can all rational functions be integrated?

No, not all rational functions can be integrated. Some rational functions have no analytical solution and require numerical methods to approximate their integral. However, most commonly encountered rational functions can be integrated using standard integration techniques.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid when solving an integral of a rational function?

One common mistake is forgetting to add the constant of integration when solving the integral. It is also important to be careful with algebraic manipulations and to check for any restrictions on the domain of the rational function, as these can affect the final result. Additionally, it is crucial to double-check the final answer by differentiating it to ensure that it is indeed the original function.