1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of Sech^5x*Cschx dx

1. Jan 18, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

integral of Sech^5(x)*Csch(x) dx

2. Relevant equations

I think Coth^2(x)-1 = Csch^2(x) may help

3. The attempt at a solution

I tried a few things. The latest being breaking the problem up and doing some re-working.

int(Sech^2(x)*Sech^3(x)*Csch(x) dx) I then multiplied the whole expression by Sinh^3(x)/Sinh^3(x) to get
    int(Sech^2(x)*tanh^3(x)*Csch^4(x) dx)
    I then got rid of the Csch^4 by breaking it up into two (Coth(x)^2-1)'s and multiplying the tanh^3(x) term through to end up with
    int(Sech^2(x)*tanh(x)*(coth^2(x)+tanh^2(x) dx)

I think I just made a huge mess and probably some mistakes...

I was doing really well through two books worth of problems until this one :s, one of the very last ones lol.

If I could get some guidance or a little hint to move me toward a better understanding of the technique needed here I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2014 #2

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A hint: how would you do ##\int \sin^5x \cos x \,dx##? The easy way is make a substitution.....

4. Jan 18, 2014 #3

That one I see easy. U substitution. U would be sinx and du would be cosx. So it'd be 1/6sin^6(x)+C. I don't see an obvious sub here though.

I was trying to create one with tanh(x) and sech(x) functions, but think I was going down a wrong path.

Am I missing some connection here? It seems like sech and csch just don't have an obvious sub to me.

The 1/coshx and 1/sinhx I do see. But I get like an inverse du. I don't know how to deal with that.

5. Jan 18, 2014 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Try ##u = \sinh x##.

6. Jan 18, 2014 #5

I tried this last night, I must be missing the obvious.

So ok, u= sinhx, du would be coshx dx

I then have the integral of 1/u but I don't see how to incorporate the du?

I'm guessing there is just some reworking of the du to make this work that I'm not seeing. I have a 1/cosh^5(x) in the problem and a du = to cosh(x) dx.

7. Jan 18, 2014 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Oh, sorry, I meant ##u = \cosh x##.

EDIT: Actually, I think you can get it to work either way.

If you use ##u = \sinh x##, you get ##du = \cosh x\,dx##, so ##dx = \text{sech } x\, du##. So
    $$\int \text{sech}^5 x \text{ csch } x \,dx = \int \text{sech}^6 x\ u^{-1}\,du.$$ Now you just need to write ##\text{sech}^6 x## in terms of ##u##.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  8. Jan 18, 2014 #7

I'm Sure I tried this too.

So U = cosh(x) du = sinh(x) dx

Gives me integral of 1/u^5 and again I'm not sure what do do with the du. So in the integral I have a 1/sinh(x) and the du is equal to sinh(x) dx. I just don't see how you work the du in there.

9. Jan 18, 2014 #8

Ohhhhhh I see that now... Ok going to really study this and try to find similar problems to work on too.

10. Jan 18, 2014 #9

AlephZero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

My idea was
    $$\begin{aligned} & \int \text{sech}^5 x\, \text{csch}\, x\, dx\\
    =& \int \dfrac{dx}{\cosh^5 x \sinh x}\\
    =& \int \dfrac{\sinh x\,dx}{\cosh^5 x \sinh^2 x}\end{aligned}$$
    Then let ##u = \cosh x## and you get to something you an integrate using partial fractions.

11. Jan 18, 2014 #10
    Well, I thought I could take it from there, I'm still unable to express the whole thing in terms on only U and no X's... I am just not getting this one problem lol. the -1's are just throwing me off when I'm trying to do both terms. I can express one just fine but when it comes to the other I'm just NOT seeing it...

:( sorry, I just don't get this one.

12. Jan 18, 2014 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I would try following AlephZero's lead. I find it easier to think about sinh and cosh than about sech and csch.

13. Jan 18, 2014 #12

I do too. We haven't gotten to partial fractions though. So I should probably solve it by U-substitution. I just can't get an integral that is completely in terms of U and in a U*du form of any type. It just doesn't come to me.

14. Jan 18, 2014 #13

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Are you sure the problem isn't to integrate sech5 x tanh x? I don't think you can do this with just a simple substitution.

15. Jan 19, 2014 #14

I'm thinking the instructor skipped this problem in this section for that reason now. He wants us to master U substitution. He said he'd pick problems from these sections, hopefully he doesn't do this one. I found the answer online and it is a monster kind of...

The instructions in the book do say to use one of the identities but yah.. It looked way more involved than that.

16. Jan 19, 2014 #15

No it's Cschx I found a way to do it with 2 subs and starting off like alpha said. I did need to do some partial fractions.

17. Jan 19, 2014 #16
    I got 1/4sech^4(x) - 1/2 sech^2(x) + 1/2(ln(tanh^2(x)) + C

That was with starting at

Sinh(x)/(cosh^5(x)sinh^2(x)) u= coshx du= sinhx

So I had 1/(u^5(u^2-1)) du then subbed v for u^2 so dv =2u du

Got 1/v^3(v-1) did partial fractions.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  18. Jan 19, 2014 #17

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Looks like you have a sign error somewhere. The sech^2 term should be positive as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted