1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral of sin*sin

1. Apr 13, 2014 #1
    Hey, I'm having trouble with one of the examples in my quantum book. I'm suppose to be showing that two eigenfunctions are orthogonal and in order to do that I have to solve the integral I have attached to this forum. I have the solution but I don't understand the steps! I believe it may be a trig substitution that I just can't remember. I would really appreciate any help. Thank you :)

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2014 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

$$\sin^2(x)=\left. \left. \dfrac{1}{2}\right( 1-\cos(x) \right) \\
    \int_0^a \! \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin\left(\frac{n \, \pi \, x}{a}\right)\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin\left(\frac{n \, \pi \, x}{a}\right)\mathrm{d}x=\dfrac{1}{a}\int_0^a \! \left( 1-\cos\left(\frac{2 \, n \, \pi \, x}{a} \right) \right) \mathrm{d}x$$

4. Apr 13, 2014 #3

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Puzzled...
    Is ##\psi_n=\sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}\sin (n\pi x/a)## orthogonal to ##\psi_n## ?
    Or are you supposed to show that ##\psi_n## is orthogonal to ##\psi_m## where ##m\neq n##?

Anyway - I'd add that you will do well to arm yourself with a table of trig identities:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_trigonometric_identities
    ... after a while you'll just remember the ones you use all the time.

5. Apr 13, 2014 #4
    Ah, yes, I accidently put n[itex]\pi[/itex]x /a for both eigen functions. One should be l[itex]\pi[/itex]x /a. Thank you.

6. Apr 13, 2014 #5
    Thank you for your quick response. I just realized that I accidently put n for both eigenfunctions. One of the sin's should be l[itex]\pi[/itex]x/a. So, should the problem be different then?

7. Apr 13, 2014 #6
    Ah, nevermind, I see now. After reviewing the trigometric identities on wikipedia I see how simple it is now. Thanks a bunch for all of your all's help!

8. Apr 14, 2014 #7

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

No worries, it's all good stuff :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted