Double Integral of sin(x^2) on TI-89

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of computing a double integral involving sin(x^2) and suggests reversing the integral or swapping the order of integration to find the volume. The second part of the problem asks for a corresponding dydx double integral that would yield the same value.
filter54321

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\stackrel{9}{0}\int\stackrel{9}{y}sin(x^2)dxdy[/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't see where there's enough "stuff" to play with to get past the first integration. My TI-89 can't do it and sin(x2) isn't in my integrals tables.

Sorry about the LATEX issues. It's correctly presented now. I'm looking at my assignment and I'm 100% sure this is what the professor asked for.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't really decipher your LaTex code, but ∫sin(x2) dx has no elementary anti-derivative.

so normally you can't compute it

[tex]\int \int sin(x^2) dxdy[/tex]

One can't find this

though one can find

[tex]\int \int sin(x^2) dydx[/tex]

Were you trying to compute a double integral by chance?

What you can do is reverse the integral, since dxdy = DA.

So swap the integral and find the volume with respect to dydx

The second part of the problem asks for a corresponding dydx double integral (and associated integration ranges) that would give you the same value once computed.

1. What is the integral of sin(x^2) on the TI-89 calculator?

The integral of sin(x^2) on the TI-89 calculator cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions. However, it can be approximated using numerical methods such as Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule.

2. How do I enter the integral of sin(x^2) on the TI-89 calculator?

To enter the integral of sin(x^2) on the TI-89 calculator, you will need to use the integral template, which can be accessed by pressing the "F3" key. Then, enter "sin(x^2)" as the function and specify the limits of integration.

3. Can the TI-89 calculator solve the integral of sin(x^2) symbolically?

No, the TI-89 calculator cannot solve the integral of sin(x^2) symbolically. It can only approximate the value using numerical methods.

4. How do I change the accuracy of the numerical approximation for the integral of sin(x^2) on the TI-89 calculator?

You can change the accuracy of the numerical approximation for the integral of sin(x^2) on the TI-89 calculator by adjusting the settings for Simpson's rule or the trapezoidal rule. These settings can be found in the "F2" menu under "Integral Options."

5. Can I graph the integral of sin(x^2) on the TI-89 calculator?

Yes, you can graph the integral of sin(x^2) on the TI-89 calculator by using the "F4" key to access the "Graph" menu. Then, select "Integral" and enter the function and limits of integration. The resulting graph will show the area under the curve of sin(x^2).