Is there a simpler method for finding the integral of sqrt(tan x)?

• Thread starter murshid_islam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is about the integral \int\sqrt{\tan (x)}dx and the methods used to solve it. The conversation mentions using a substitution, u2 = tan(x), and then trying a partial fraction expansion, but ultimately concluding that there is no neater way to solve it. The conversation also suggests using contour integration for a definite integral. A suggestion is made to use substitution again to simplify the remaining integrals. Finally, there is a clarification about the use of du in the integrals.
murshid_islam
My question is about this integral:

[tex]\int\sqrt{\tan (x)}dx[/tex]

After using the substitution, u2 = tan(x), I got,

[tex]2\int\frac{u^2}{u^4 + 1}du = 2\int\frac{u^2}{\left(u^2 + \sqrt{2}u + 1\right)\left(u^2 - \sqrt{2}u + 1\right)}du[/tex]

Next, I tried the partial fraction expansion. But it turned pretty ugly. Is there any easier way of doing it?

Physics news on Phys.org
If it is a definite integral, I think contour integration would be the way to go... otherwise I can't think of a way to make it nice.

I don't think there's a neater way to compute it other than the method you already have.

There is;

[tex]\int \frac{2u^2}{u^4+1} du = \int \frac{u^2+1}{u^4+1} du + \int \frac{u^2-1}{u^4+1} du [/tex]

[tex]= \int \frac{1+\frac{1}{u^2}}{u^2+\frac{1}{u^2}} du + \int \frac{1-\frac{1}{u^2}}{u^2+\frac{1}{u^2}} du [/tex]

[tex]= \int \frac{ d(u-\frac{1}{u})}{ (u-\frac{1}{u})^2 +2} du + \int \frac{ d(u+\frac{1}{u})}{ (u+\frac{1}{u})^2 -2} du[/tex]

Gib Z said:
There is;

[tex]\int \frac{2u^2}{u^4+1} du = \int \frac{u^2+1}{u^4+1} du + \int \frac{u^2-1}{u^4+1} du [/tex]

[tex]= \int \frac{1+\frac{1}{u^2}}{u^2+\frac{1}{u^2}} du + \int \frac{1-\frac{1}{u^2}}{u^2+\frac{1}{u^2}} du [/tex]

[tex]= \int \frac{ d(u-\frac{1}{u})}{ (u-\frac{1}{u})^2 +2} du + \int \frac{ d(u+\frac{1}{u})}{ (u+\frac{1}{u})^2 -2} du[/tex]
I'm sorry, but I don't see exactly how that helps. :confused:

The remaining integrals are of forms which are generally considered standard integrals;

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x^2+a^2} = \frac{1}{a} \tan^{-1} \frac{x}{a} + C[/tex]

[tex]\int \frac{dx}{x^2-a^2} = \frac{1}{2a} \log_e \left( \frac{x-a}{x+a}\right) + C[/tex]

But how do I deal with the [itex]d\left(u-\frac{1}{u}\right)[/itex] and [itex]d\left(u+\frac{1}{u}\right)[/itex] in the numerators of the integrals?

Substitution: put z = u-1/u in the first integral and z = u+1/u in the second integral

murshid_islam - Just to be clear, the trailing [itex]du[/itex] in Gib Z's brillant integrals should be deleted. The form of the integrals are really

[tex]\int \frac{2u^2}{u^4+1} du = \int \frac{ d(u-\frac{1}{u})}{ (u-\frac{1}{u})^2 +2} + \int \frac{ d(u+\frac{1}{u})}{ (u+\frac{1}{u})^2 -2} [/tex]

Do you now understand how the substitution gets to the integral forms in his second post?

TheoMcCloskey said:
murshid_islam - Just to be clear, the trailing [itex]du[/itex] in Gib Z's brillant integrals should be deleted.
Thanks a lot. Now everything is clear to me.

TheoMcCloskey said:
Do you now understand how the substitution gets to the integral forms in his second post?
Oh yes, now I understand.

Argh! All that latex code makes me forget what I'm actually typing and it's just instict to jab a du in there after an integral! Sorry murshid_islam!

1. What is the formula for the integral of sqrt(tan x)?

The formula for the integral of sqrt(tan x) is ∫ √(tan x) dx = 2/3(tan x)^(3/2) + C.

2. How do you solve an integral of sqrt(tan x)?

To solve an integral of sqrt(tan x), you can use substitution by letting u = tan x. This will change the integral into ∫ √u du, which can be solved using integration by parts or the power rule.

3. Is the integral of sqrt(tan x) a definite or indefinite integral?

The integral of sqrt(tan x) can be both a definite or indefinite integral, depending on the limits of integration. If there are no limits specified, it is considered an indefinite integral. If there are limits, it is a definite integral.

4. Can you simplify the integral of sqrt(tan x)?

Yes, the integral of sqrt(tan x) can be simplified using trigonometric identities. For example, you can use the identity tan x = sin x / cos x to rewrite the integral as ∫ √(sin x / cos x) dx. From there, you can use the substitution u = sin x to further simplify the integral.

5. What applications does the integral of sqrt(tan x) have in real life?

The integral of sqrt(tan x) has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to solve problems involving curves, rates of change, and optimization. For example, it can be used to calculate the area under a curve or to determine the minimum or maximum value of a function.