Can the integral of tan(logx) be simplified for real values of x?

• Thread starter hsostwal
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral of tan(logx) cannot be expressed in terms of elementary functions, and is instead represented by non elementary functions such as the Lerch \Phi function and the Euler Beta function. It can be simplified with the assumption that x is real, but the resulting expression is not useful for evaluation purposes.
hsostwal
What is integral of tan(logx)? I couldn't find it on internet.

Physics news on Phys.org
It doesn't seem to be expressible in elementary functions, at best you will get Euler Beta functions.

Were you just wondering, or do you need to find it for an assignment? Because you should be aware that if you just come up with an integral with elementary functions, there's a good chance that it won't be expressible in terms of elementary functions.

hsostwal said:
What is integral of tan(logx)? I couldn't find it on internet.

Maple does it in terms of the Lerch [tex]\Phi[/tex] function.

Mathematica:

[itex]-i \left(\left(\frac{1}{5}-\frac{2 i}{5}\right) x^{1+2 i} \text{Hypergeometric2F1}\left[1-\frac{i}{2},1,2-\frac{i}{2},-x^{2 i}\right]-x \text{Hypergeometric2F1}\left[-\frac{i}{2},1,1-\frac{i}{2},-x^{2 i}\right]\right)[/itex]

A wonderful case of the mathematics required to understand the problem far-exceeding that required to solve it O_O.

Gregg said:
Mathematica:

[itex]-i \left(\left(\frac{1}{5}-\frac{2 i}{5}\right) x^{1+2 i} \text{Hypergeometric2F1}\left[1-\frac{i}{2},1,2-\frac{i}{2},-x^{2 i}\right]-x \text{Hypergeometric2F1}\left[-\frac{i}{2},1,1-\frac{i}{2},-x^{2 i}\right]\right)[/itex]

You might want to use FullSimplify (possibly with the additional assumption that x is real) and arrive at something with Euler B's, as I said.

CompuChip said:
You might want to use FullSimplify (possibly with the additional assumption that x is real) and arrive at something with Euler B's, as I said.

[itex]\text{FullSimplify}[\text{Assuming}[x\in \text{Reals},\int \text{Tan}[\text{Log}[x]] \, dx]][/itex]

[itex]
i x \text{Hypergeometric2F1}\left[-\frac{i}{2},1,1-\frac{i}{2},-x^{2 i}\right]-\left(\frac{2}{5}+\frac{i}{5}\right) x^{1+2 i} \text{Hypergeometric2F1}\left[1,1-\frac{i}{2},2-\frac{i}{2},-x^{2 i}\right]
[/itex]

I'm just copying what it says. I have no idea about all the non elementary functions that pop out or how to see them without resorting to mathematica. e.g. integrating gaussian distribution thing. A source for this information would be good.

You might want to simplify with the assumption that x is real:

[tex]\text{Assuming}[x \in \text{Reals}, \text{FullSimplify}[\int \tan[\log[x]], x]][/tex]

gives
[tex]
\frac{1}{2} \left(-x^{2 i}\right)^{\frac{i}{2}} x \left(B_{-x^{2
i}}\left(-\frac{i}{2},0\right)+B_{-x^{2
i}}\left(1-\frac{i}{2},0\right)\right)
[/tex]

which for evaluation purposes doesn't help you, it's just prettier (or less ugly, if you like) to look at.

1. What is the general formula for the integral of tan(logx)?

The general formula for the integral of tan(logx) is ∫tan(logx)dx = ln|sec(logx)| + C, where C is a constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of tan(logx)?

To solve the integral of tan(logx), you can use the substitution method. Let u = logx, then du = 1/x dx. Substituting this into the integral, we get ∫tan(u)(1/x)dx. Using the trigonometric identity tan(u) = sin(u)/cos(u), we can rewrite the integral as ∫sin(u)/cos(u)(1/x)dx = ∫sin(u)/(x*cos(u))dx.

3. Can the integral of tan(logx) be evaluated using integration by parts?

No, the integral of tan(logx) cannot be evaluated using integration by parts. This method is used for integrating products of functions, but in the case of tan(logx), we only have one function.

4. What are the limits of integration for the integral of tan(logx)?

The limits of integration for the integral of tan(logx) depend on the problem at hand. Generally, the limits can be any real numbers that are within the domain of the function, which is (0,∞) for tan(logx).

5. Is there a graph for the integral of tan(logx)?

Yes, there is a graph for the integral of tan(logx). It is a logarithmic function with an asymptote at x = 1. The graph starts at the origin and increases as x increases. The graph also has a point of inflection at x ≈ 2.081, where the function changes from concave up to concave down.