Solve Integral of tan(x)^3: Help & Explanation Needed

• Thread starter tshaw101
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the book says to solve the problem this way: set u = tan(x) du = sec(x)^2dx so \int u du = 1/2 u ^2 = 1/2 tan(x)^2.
tshaw101
I am having an issue with this problem.

[tex]\int tan(x)^3: [/tex]

You separate a tan(x)^2, and use the identity 1+tan(x)^2 = sec(x)^2

You then end up with [tex]\int tan(x) sec(x)^2 dx[/tex] + [tex]\int tan(x) dx[/tex]

[tex]\int tan(x) dx = ln absval(sec(x)) [/tex]

[tex]\int tan(x) sec(x)^2 dx[/tex]

Here, the book says to solve the problem this way:

set u = tan(x) du = sec(x)^2dx

so [tex]\int u du = 1/2 u ^2 = 1/2 tan(x)^2 [/tex]

Why can't you solve this problem this way instead?

[tex]\int (tan(x) sec(x)) sec(x) dx[/tex]

set u = sec(x), du = (tan(x) sec(x)) dx

so [tex]\int u du = 1/2 u ^2 = 1/2 sec(x)^2 [/tex]

I think I must be missing something...any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can solve it that way. What you are missing is the +C. An indefinite integral always has an indefinite integration constant. (1/2)*tan(x)^2+C and (1/2)*sec(x)^2+D are the same thing. tan^2 and sec^2 differ by a constant. Only the C and D are different constants, right?

you arent doing anything wrong. both answers are correct. they just differ by a constant. Remember

sec(x)^2 - tan(x)^2 = 1

Dick said:
You can solve it that way. What you are missing is the +C. An indefinite integral always has an indefinite integration constant. (1/2)*tan(x)^2+C and (1/2)*sec(x)^2+D are the same thing. tan^2 and sec^2 differ by a constant. Only the C and D are different constants, right?

Thanks for replying so quick.

If it is a definite integral don't the constants cancel out?

Yes, that's the point. (1/2)tan(x)^2+C and (1/2)sec(x)^2+C both differentiate to the same thing. They are both antiderivatives of tan(x)*sec(x)^2. If you try to do a definite integral, you don't care what which form you use. You get the same thing.

Dick said:
Yes, that's the point. (1/2)tan(x)^2+C and (1/2)sec(x)^2+C both differentiate to the same thing. They are both antiderivatives of tan(x)*sec(x)^2. If you try to do a definite integral, you don't care what which form you use. You get the same thing.

I see what you are saying, this makes sense to me now...thanks a lot for getting back to me so quick, I really appreciate it.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to find the total value of a function over a specific interval.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. You also need to know the limits of integration, which specify the interval over which the integral is being evaluated.

3. What is the power rule for integrals?

The power rule for integrals states that if the integrand is of the form x^n, where n is any real number except -1, then the integral is equal to x^(n+1)/(n+1) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

4. How do you solve an integral of tan(x)^3?

To solve an integral of tan(x)^3, you can use the trigonometric identity tan^2(x) + 1 = sec^2(x) to rewrite the integral as tan(x)^2 * tan(x). Then, use integration by parts with u = tan(x)^2 and dv = tan(x) to solve the integral.

5. Can you explain the steps for solving an integral of tan(x)^3?

1. Rewrite the integral as tan(x)^2 * tan(x) using the trigonometric identity tan^2(x) + 1 = sec^2(x).2. Use integration by parts with u = tan(x)^2 and dv = tan(x).3. Find the derivative of u and the antiderivative of dv.4. Plug these values into the integration by parts formula: ∫u dv = uv - ∫v du.5. Simplify the resulting integral and use the power rule for integrals to solve it.6. Add the constant of integration to get the final solution.