What is the Integral of sin x * sqrt(1+cos2x)?

In summary, the conversation is about solving the integral of sin(x)√(1+cos2x) dx. The person who wrote the initial statement made a mistake with the latex and was corrected by someone who suggested using a trig substitution. The person trying to solve the integral struggled with the substitution and requested more tips. Finally, they were able to solve the integral using integration by parts.
wlooi

Homework Statement

∫(sin x)√(1+cos2x) dx

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What you have written makes no sense (even if the latex were working). you have \sqrt{} with nothing inside the square root and have a subscript that makes no sense.

Did you mean [itex]\int sin(x)\sqrt{1+ cos^2(x)}dx[/itex]?

If so, start by letting y= cos(x).

Yes, that's exactly what I was try to make. Well, this is my first time using this so sorry..

Well, I got myself until:

[itex]\large - [/itex] [itex]\int \sqrt{1+y^2}[/itex] [itex]\large dy [/itex]

then I stucked again.

wlooi said:
Well, I got myself until:

[itex]\large - [/itex] [itex]\int \sqrt{1+y^2}[/itex] [itex]\large dy [/itex]

then I stucked again.

Try and think of a trig (or hyperbolic trig) substitution that will turn 1+y^2 into the square of something so you can get rid of the square root.

Argh... I don't seem to get it after cracking my head for a while. Can I have a little bit more tips?

Let's see, ...

1+tan2(θ) = sec2(θ)

1+sinh2(u) = cosh2(u)

using 1+tan2v=sec2v , I got it until :

-∫sec3v dv

am I suppose to do by parts or is there other ways?

wlooi said:
using 1+tan2v=sec2v , I got it until :

-∫sec3v dv

am I suppose to do by parts or is there other ways?

Parts. Split it into sec(v)^2*dv and sec(v).

Okay, I think I got it. Thanks for the help from everyone.^^

What is an integral of a function?

An integral of a function is a mathematical concept that calculates the area under a curve on a graph. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and has two limits, the lower and upper bound, which determine the range of the function that is being integrated.

What is the purpose of finding the integral of a function?

The main purpose of finding the integral of a function is to determine the total value or quantity represented by that function. It is also used to find the rate of change of a function over a specific interval and to solve problems related to motion, area, and volume.

How is an integral of a function calculated?

The integral of a function is calculated using a process called integration. There are two main types of integration: indefinite and definite. Indefinite integration involves finding a general antiderivative of a function, while definite integration involves finding the area under the curve of a function within specific limits.

What is the difference between a definite integral and an indefinite integral?

The main difference between a definite and an indefinite integral is the presence of limits. Definite integrals have specific limits, while indefinite integrals do not. Additionally, definite integrals give a specific numerical value, while indefinite integrals give a general function as a solution.

Why is the integral of a function important in science?

The integral of a function is important in science because it allows us to model and analyze real-world phenomena. It is used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering to solve problems related to motion, growth, and change. It also helps us to understand the relationship between different variables in a system.