Integral of Unit step function

In summary, Chet is struggling with understanding how to approach a specific integral problem and is seeking clarification on the behavior of the unit step function. He questions the discrepancy between his professor's example and what he has found on the internet, and wonders how the unit step function affects the limits of integration. He also asks for help in visualizing the graph of u(t-1) and 5u(t-1) to better understand the problem.
tdoc993
This isn't really so much of a specific example from a textbook, I just need to understand how to do this kind of integral and from that I can infer how to do all of the other problems.

1. Homework Statement

The current problem I'm having trouble with is:

Integral of (5u(t-1)) from T to -T

Homework Equations

u(t) = { 0 t < 0
{ 1 0 < t

The Attempt at a Solution

My professor (who isn't the most clear professor in the world), has provided an example of a problem similar to this which is contradicting what I have found on the internet.

Basically what he has done is taken the integral of (A^2)u(t) dt from T to -T He skips right from the above equation directly to: Integral of A^2 dt from T to 0.

The problem I'm having is what happens to the u(t)? How does it simply disappear from his solution and how does that change the limits of integration? I know that in the unit step function there cannot be any negative numbers, so is that why he takes away the -T from the limits of integration?

Also for my problem, Integral of u(t-1), would that mean instead of the limits of integration changing to T to 0 would it be from T to 1 instead (because of the t-1). I'm really confused by this, and to add to the confusion everything I've found on the internet has told me that the integral of u(t) is tu(t). If anyone can clear this up for me I would very much appreciate it.

The course is Signals and systems I if anyone is wondering, it's part of an Electrical Engineering major, thanks in advance for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
It might be helpful to draw a graph of what u(t-1) looks like. Then draw a graph of what 5u(t-1) looks like. You are going to be finding the integral under the plot from t=T to t=-T.

Chet

What is the integral of the unit step function?

The integral of the unit step function is a mathematical operation that represents the area under the curve of the unit step function. It is commonly denoted as ∫u(x)dx or ∫θ(x)dx, where θ(x) is the unit step function.

What is the domain and range of the unit step function?

The domain of the unit step function is all real numbers except for 0, where it has a discontinuity. The range of the function is from 0 to 1, with the function being equal to 0 for all negative inputs and 1 for all positive inputs.

How do you graph the integral of the unit step function?

To graph the integral of the unit step function, you can use the properties of the unit step function to break the integral into smaller pieces and graph them individually. You can also use a calculator or graphing software to plot the function.

What is the relationship between the unit step function and the Heaviside step function?

The unit step function and the Heaviside step function are closely related, with the Heaviside step function being a generalized version of the unit step function. The Heaviside function has a smoother transition at the discontinuity and can take on different values for the step function at 0.

What are the applications of the integral of the unit step function?

The integral of the unit step function has many applications in mathematics and physics, such as in signal processing, control systems, and Fourier analysis. It is also used in solving differential equations and calculating the area under a curve in calculus.