What is the Integral of x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx in Signal Processing?

In summary, the conversation discussed different approaches to solving the integral \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^{2} e^{-x^{2}} dx. Suggestions included using the error function, differentiating with respect to a, and using Leibniz's rule. Ultimately, the simplest approach was to recognize the integral as \sqrt{\pi} times the variance of a Gaussian random variable.
niks
I ran into an integral while working on response of a signal processing filter, it looks like:

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^{2} e^{-x^{2}} dx [/tex]

While trying integration by parts u = [tex]x^{2}[/tex] we get du = 2xdx but can't proceed with dv = [tex]e^{-x^{2}}[/tex] because then
v = [tex]\int e^{-x^{2}}[/tex]
can't be integrated unless we use the limits.

Can anyone suggest an approach for this?

Thanks,
Niks

Likes Bruno Cavalcante and Ranvir
Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you trying to do? As you point out, your v is not any elementary function, and that tells you that neither is
[tex]\int x^2e^{-x^2} dx[/tex]
You might be able to do that in terms of the "error function", Erf(x), which is defined to be
[tex]\int e^{-x^2} dx[/tex]

If you just want to calculate the definite integral, I don't see why you wouldn't want to include the limits when integrating by parts?

His point, about the limits of integration, was that it is well known that
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{x^2}dx= 2\sqrt{\pi}[/itex]
while the anti-derivative is not an elementary function. in other words, he could, theoretically, do it as a definite integral with the right limits but not as an indefinite integral.

Was that adressed to me?

Anyway, Maple tells me that:
[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^{n} e^{-x^{2}}\rm{d} x=\frac{1}{2}\Gamma\left(\frac{n}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\right)\left(1+(-1)^n\right)
[/tex] ,
which should be possible to prove by induction.

PS. HallsofIvy: You have forgotten the minus-sign in your integrand.

A cute way to solve this is to recall that

[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}e^{-ax^2}=\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{\sqrt{a}}[/tex]

Then use Feynman's favorite trick and differentiate both sides with respect to a, and evaluate at a = 1.

Likes Curieuse and Ranvir
HallsofIvy said:
His point, about the limits of integration, was that it is well known that
[tex]\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{x^2}dx= 2\sqrt{\pi}[/itex]
while the anti-derivative is not an elementary function. in other words, he could, theoretically, do it as a definite integral with the right limits but not as an indefinite integral.
For one, it's [itex]e^{-x^2}[/itex] and for two, it's [itex] \sqrt{\pi}[/itex].

As you point out, your v is not any elementary function,
I think I should use this as a guideline for future problems. Both u and v should be elementary functions otherwise integration by parts becomes too messy(perhaps impossible).

Yes, that was what I had in mind. That's why I got stuck there.

Anyway, Maple tells me that:
[tex]

\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} x^{n} e^{-x^{2}}\rm{d} x=\frac{1}{2}\Gamma\left(\frac{n}{2}+\frac{1}{2}\r ight)\left(1+(-1)^n\right)

[/tex]
which should be possible to prove by induction.
Thanks! That will help me move forward.

Thanks to everyone who replied, I learned a lot from this thread.

-Niks

Using lots of substitutions and integration by parts I get this:

[tex]\int x^{2}e^{-{x^2}}dx=xe^{x^{2}}\left[1-\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{\prod_{k=2}^{n}\left(2k-3\right)}{2^{n}x^{2n}}\right][/tex]

I would go over the derivation but LaTex is killing me.

Quite frankly, I think using Leibniz' rule, as suggested by Nicksauce, would by far be the simplest method in this case.

Quite frankly, I think using Leibniz' rule, as suggested by Nicksauce, would by far be the simplest method in this case.

Quite true.

But, if doing by parts, then the proper selection of u an dv is

[tex]u=x[/tex]

[tex]dv= x*e^{-x^2}dx[/tex]

and then things won't be so messy - however, it will involve the definite integral [itex]\int^{\infty}_{-\infty}{ e^{-{x^2}}dx}[/itex] which we know equals [itex]\sqrt{\pi}[/itex].

Likes Curieuse
umm mathematica gives me [tex]\frac{\sqrt{\pi}}{2}[/tex]

and for the indefinite :

[tex]
\frac{1}{4} \sqrt{\pi } \text{erf}(x)-\frac{1}{2} e^{-x^2} x
[/tex]

Well, perhaps the very simplest approach is to recognize that the integral is [itex]\sqrt{\pi}[/itex] times the variance of a Gaussian random variable with mean 0 and standard deviation [itex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]. That's certainly all I'd bother doing in the signal processing context the OP mentioned.

1. What is the formula for the integral of x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx?

The formula for the integral of x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx is ∫x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx = -\frac{1}{2} e^{-x^2} (x^2 + 1) + C, where C is the constant of integration.

2. How do you solve the integral of x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx?

To solve the integral of x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx, you can use integration by parts. Let u = x and dv = xe^{-x^2} dx. Then, du = dx and v = -\frac{1}{2} e^{-x^2}, and the integral becomes ∫x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx = -\frac{1}{2} x e^{-x^2} - \frac{1}{2} ∫e^{-x^2} dx. Using the substitution method, the second term can be evaluated as -\frac{1}{4} \sqrt{\pi} erf(x) + C, where erf(x) is the error function. Combining the two terms, the final solution is ∫x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx = -\frac{1}{2} e^{-x^2} (x^2 + 1) + C.

3. What is the value of the integral of x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx at a specific point?

The value of the integral of x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx at a specific point x=a can be found by plugging in the value of a into the solution of ∫x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx = -\frac{1}{2} e^{-x^2} (x^2 + 1) + C and evaluating the expression. For example, if a=2, the value of the integral is ∫x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx = -\frac{1}{2} e^{-4} (4 + 1) + C = -\frac{5}{2e^{4}} + C.

4. What is the graph of the integral of x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx?

The graph of the integral of x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx is a bell-shaped curve with a maximum value of approximately 0.443. The curve starts at the origin and approaches 0 as x increases. The graph also has a point of inflection at x = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} and is symmetric about the y-axis.

5. What is the significance of the integral of x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx in mathematics?

The integral of x^{2} e^{-x^2} dx is significant in mathematics because it is a special case of the Gaussian integral, which has many applications in statistics, physics, and other fields. It is also a common example used in calculus courses to illustrate the technique of integration by parts. The integral also has a closed form solution, making it a useful tool for solving more complex integrals involving exponential functions.