Integral of x^2/(x+2) Solution | Evaluate the Integral

• Thread starter professordad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the integral of x^2/(x+2) and suggests using polynomial division to simplify the problem. One person suggests setting u = x^2 and another suggests u = x+2, but there is a mistake in the second substitution. The correct solution is given at the end, which is \frac{x^2}{2} - 2x + 4\ln{|x+2|} + C.
professordad

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral:
[itex]\int \frac{x^2}{x + 2} dx[/itex]

Homework Equations

There aren't any relevant equations...

The Attempt at a Solution

In these type of problems you have to set [itex]u = \text{something}[/itex] so I tried setting [itex]u = x^2[/itex], but then [itex]\text{du} = 2x\text{dx}[/itex] and you can't substitute anything. And if [itex]u = x + 2[/itex] then [itex]\text{du} = 1[/itex] and that's useless.

Also, this problem is from the Swokowski calculus textbook (school starts in two days for me so I'm doing self study :smile: )

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Before you do anything, do polynomial division (degree of top >= degree of bottom). Once this is done, it should be trivial to take the integral.

Try doing some algebra first. You can rewrite that. Polynomial long division.

In you second substitution, where u = x+2, du = dx not du = 1

If you carry thru with this substitution properly, you can find the desired integral.

Wow, I can't believe I missed that. Here's what I have from there:

Clearly [itex]\frac{x^2}{x + 2} = x - 2 + \frac{4}{x + 2}[/itex]. So integrating that we have [itex]\frac{x^2}{2} - 2x + 4\ln{|x+2|} + C[/itex] where C is a constant.

Thanks for your help guys! I appreciated it :smile:

Also, to SteamKing, yes, I made a mistake while typing it up.

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for finding the integral of x^2/(x+2)?

The formula for finding the integral of x^2/(x+2) is ∫(x^2/(x+2)) dx = x^2ln|x+2| - 2x + C.

2. How do you solve for the constant C in the integral of x^2/(x+2)?

To solve for the constant C, you can use the initial conditions of the problem or evaluate the integral at a specific point.

3. Can the integral of x^2/(x+2) be simplified further?

Yes, the integral can be simplified further by using integration by parts or partial fraction decomposition.

4. What is the domain and range of the integral of x^2/(x+2)?

The domain of the integral of x^2/(x+2) is all real numbers except for x = -2, and the range is all real numbers.

5. How can the integral of x^2/(x+2) be applied in real life?

The integral of x^2/(x+2) can be applied in various fields such as engineering, physics, and economics to solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and area/volume calculations.