1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral on end points

1. Jan 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Show that the following line integral depends only on the end points of C by using a suitable theorem.

Then evaluate without parameterising it.

2. Relevant equations

[itex]\int_{(0,0)}^{(3,2)} 2xe^y dx + x^2e^y dy[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Is this the theorem...

[itex] \displaystyle \int F(x,y) dr =\int_C \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} dx +\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y} dy =\int_a^b (\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial x} \frac{dx}{dt} +\frac{\partial \phi}{\partial y} \frac{dy}{dt}) dt[/itex]...........?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 24, 2012 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

do you know about conservative functions and vector fields ?

4. Jan 24, 2012 #3
    Yes, this force vector field is conservative because g_x=f_y, hence is independent of path C..but I dont know what theorem to use?

5. Jan 24, 2012 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

how about the gradient theorem

6. Jan 24, 2012 #5
    It must be simpler than I thought

I calculate the potential function [itex] \phi (x,y)= x^2 e^y +C[/itex]. we know the gradient of the potential function is the force vector field given in the question. I integrated backwards to get the potential, s I guess thats the theorem..right?

I evaluate the force field to be 9e^2....based on [itex]\displaystyle \int \nabla \phi \dot dr = \phi(x_1, y_1) - \phi (x_0, y_0)[/itex]...

7. Jan 24, 2012 #6

lanedance

Homework Helper

looks good

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook