How Do I Correctly Evaluate the Integral Over [0,2pi] of √(t^2+2) dt?

• Thread starter Alexx1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, we can use the substitution \frac{t}{a}=sinh(u) to simplify the integral and solve it as \frac{a^2}{2}sinh^{-1}(\frac{t}{a}) + \frac{t\sqrt{t^2+a^2}}{2}. The original sign error has been corrected.
Alexx1
I have to find: [tex]\int_{0}^{2\pi}\sqrt{t^2+2} dt[/tex]

I found that [tex]\int \sqrt{t^2+2} dt = \frac{t\sqrt{t^2+2}}{2} - arcsin(\frac{t}{\sqrt{2}}) + c[/tex]

But when I fill in [tex]2\pi[/tex] I get: [tex]\frac{2\pi \sqrt{4\pi ^2+2}}{2}- arcsin(\frac{2\pi }{\sqrt{2}})[/tex]

but [tex]arcsin(\frac{2\pi }{\sqrt{2}})[/tex] doesn't exist..

Have I done something wrong?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Well, you found wrongly!

We have:
[tex]\int\sqrt{t^{2}+a^{2}}dt=a\int\sqrt{1+(\frac{t}{a})^{2}}dt[/tex].

Use the substitution:
[tex]\frac{t}{a}=sinh(u)[/tex], sinh being the hyperbolic sine, rather than the trigonometric sine.
(Using the identity: [tex]cosh^{2}(u)-sinh^{2}(u)=1[/tex]
We then get:
[tex]dt=acosh(u)du[/tex]

And your integral becomes:
[tex]a^{2}\int{cosh^{2}(u)}du[/tex]
This is easily integrated:
[tex]I=\int{cosh^{2}(u)}du=sinh(u)cosh(u)-\int{sinh^{2}(u)du=sinh(u)cosh(u)-\int{cosh^{2}(u)-1}du[/tex]
That is:
[tex]2I=u+sinh(u)cosh(u)[/tex]
or:
[tex]I=\frac{u}{2}+\frac{sinh(u)\sqrt{sinh^{2}(u)+1}}{2}[/tex]

Now, you can readily re-substitute for t/a=sinh(u), gaining:
[tex]\frac{a^{2}}{2}sinh^{-1}(\frac{t}{a})+\frac{t\sqrt{t^{2}+a^{2}}}{2}[/tex]

Last edited:
arildno said:
Well, you found wrongly!

We have:
[tex]\int\sqrt{t^{2}+a^{2}}dt=a\int\sqrt{1+(\frac{t}{a})^{2}}dt[/tex].

Use the substitution:
[tex]\frac{t}{a}=sinh(u)[/tex], sinh being the hyperbolic sine, rather than the trigonometric sine.
(Using the identity: [tex]cosh^{2}(u)-sinh^{2}(u)=1[/tex]
We then get:
[tex]dt=acosh(u)du[/tex]

And your integral becomes:
[tex]a^{2}\int{cosh^{2}(u)}du[/tex]
This is easily integrated:
[tex]I=\int{cosh^{2}(u)}du=sinh(u)cosh(u)-\int{sinh^{2}(u)du=sinh(u)cosh(u)-\int{cosh^{2}(u)-1}du[/tex]
That is:
[tex]2I=u+sinh(u)cosh(u)[/tex]
or:
[tex]I=\frac{u}{2}+\frac{sinh(u)\sqrt{sinh^{2}(u)-1}}{2}[/tex]

Now, you can readily re-substitute for t/a=sinh(u)

Thanks! Now I found it!

I made a sign error in the last square root expression, that has been fixed.

Your integral and solution appear to be correct. However, there is a mistake in your evaluation of arcsin(2π/√2). This value does exist and can be found using a calculator or by using the identity arcsin(x) = 2arctan(x/√(1-x^2)). When evaluated correctly, the final value for the integral should be approximately 6.283. It is important to double check all evaluations and calculations, especially when dealing with trigonometric functions.

1. What is the concept of "Integral over [0,2pi]"?

The concept of "Integral over [0,2pi]" refers to the process of finding the area under a curve between the limits of 0 and 2pi on the x-axis. It is a mathematical technique used to calculate the total value of a function within a specific interval.

2. Why is [0,2pi] commonly used as the interval for this integral?

[0,2pi] is commonly used as the interval for this integral because it represents one full rotation around a circle in radians. This interval is often used in trigonometric functions, making it a convenient choice for calculating integrals involving trigonometric functions.

3. How is the integral over [0,2pi] different from other types of integrals?

The integral over [0,2pi] is different from other types of integrals because it specifically deals with functions that are periodic, meaning they repeat themselves after a certain interval. This interval is represented by the limits of 0 and 2pi, making it unique from other types of integrals.

4. What is the importance of the integral over [0,2pi] in science and engineering?

The integral over [0,2pi] is important in science and engineering because it allows for the calculation of important physical quantities, such as work, power, and displacement in systems that exhibit periodic behavior. It is also used in many fields of engineering, including electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, and signal processing.

5. How is the integral over [0,2pi] calculated?

The integral over [0,2pi] is calculated using various techniques, such as the Riemann sum, substitution, and integration by parts. It can also be calculated using numerical methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. The specific method used depends on the complexity of the function being integrated.