What is the integral over a hemisphere for a specific function?

• Thread starter a_Vatar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the integral over a hemisphere can be simplified by substituting u = t^2 and getting \int \frac{1}{a*cos^2(\phi) + b*sin^2(\phi)} * sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi.
a_Vatar
Hi,
I'm trying to evaluate this integral over a hemisphere:
[tex]\int cos(\theta)^{a*cos^2(\phi) + b*sin^2(\phi)} dw[/tex]
where dw - solid angle measure,[tex]\phi[/tex] is azimuthal angle and [tex]\theta[/tex]
is polar angle.
Thus we have:
[tex]\int cos(\theta)^{a*cos^2(\phi) + b*sin^2(\phi)} dw[/tex] = [tex]\int \int cos(\theta)^{a*cos^2(\phi) + b*sin^2(\phi)} * sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi[/tex].
over hemishere.

Integral = [tex]\int^{2 * pi}_{0} \int^{pi/2}_{0}cos(\theta)^{a*cos^2(\phi) + b*sin^2(\phi)} * sin(\theta) d\theta d\phi[/tex]

evaluate inner integral:
making substitution u = cos([tex]\theta[/tex]),
[tex]\int^{pi/2}_{0}cos(\theta)^{a*cos^2(\phi) + b*sin^2(\phi)} * sin(\theta) d\theta =
- \int^{pi/2}_{0}u^{a*cos^2(\phi) + b*sin^2(\phi)} du = \frac{1}{a*cos^2(\phi) + b*sin^2(\phi) + 1}[/tex]

That's where I get stuck with integration wrt [tex]\phi[/tex]
Apparently this integral has to evaluate to [tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{(a+1)(b+1)}}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the substitution

[tex]t=\tan \frac{\phi}{2},[/tex]

and you end up with a rational integral.

[tex]\int \frac{1}{a*cos^2(\phi) + b*sin^2(\phi) + 1} d\phi[/tex]

after letting [tex]t=\tan \frac{\phi}{2}[/tex] I get

[tex]\int \frac{1+t^2}{a(1-t^2)^2 + 4bt^2 + (1+t^2)^2}[/tex]

this does not look to facinating, so I let [tex]u=t^2[/tex] and this simplifies it a bit further, but introduces [tex]\sqrt{u}[/tex] into denominator;

I tried pluging original [tex]\int \frac{1}{a*cos^2(\phi) + b*sin^2(\phi) + 1} d\phi[/tex]
in the online integrator here (http://integrals.wolfram.com/index.jsp) and the result is reasonably simple, but when I plugged the "t subsitution integral", the result is way more complex! Btw, the u substitution apprarently yeilds result with complex number, where these come from I have no idea, cause the original integral is simple.

I don't know if Mathemathica actually can give you the intermediate steps of integration e.g. how it got the result, but if it can, could some one having access to it post integration process here please?

a_Vatar said:
[tex]\int \frac{1+t^2}{a(1-t^2)^2 + 4bt^2 + (1+t^2)^2}[/tex]

this does not look to facinating

True! But if you want to solve it with real variable, now you can use partial fractions, i.e.

[tex]\frac{1+t^2}{a(1-t^2)^2 + 4bt^2 + (1+t^2)^2}=\frac{1+t^2}{(\sqrt{1+a}t^2+2\sqrt{a-b}t+\sqrt{1+a}) (\sqrt{1+a}t^2-2\sqrt{a-b}t+\sqrt{1+a})}[/tex]

(assuming [itex]a>b[/itex]), hence

[tex]\frac{1+t^2}{a(1-t^2)^2 + 4bt^2 + (1+t^2)^2}=\frac{1}{\sqrt{1+a}}\left( \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+a}t^2+2\sqrt{a-b}t+\sqrt{1+a}}+ \frac{1}{\sqrt{1+a}t^2-2\sqrt{a-b}t+\sqrt{1+a}}}\right).[/tex]

Using complex variable is fair more simple, just do the substitution [itex]2 \cos \phi=z+1/z,\,2i \sin \phi=z-1/z[/itex] and use Cauchy's Theorem.

P.S. You are missing a factor of two multipliying the integral.

Last edited:
How did you get this expression?

[tex]\frac{1+t^2}{(\sqrt{1+a}t^2+2\sqrt{a-b}t+\sqrt{1+a}) (\sqrt{1+a}t^2-2\sqrt{a-b}t+\sqrt{1+a})}[/tex]

when I factor

[tex]{a(1-t^2)^2 + 4bt^2 + (1+t^2)^2} = (a+1)t^4 -2(a-2b-1)t^2 + (a+1)[/tex]
then say,

[tex]u=t^2[/tex] and
[tex]u1,2 = \frac{(a-2b-1)\pm 2\sqrt{(1+b)(b-1)}}{a+1}[/tex],
thus
[tex](a+1)t^4 -2(a-2b-1)t^2 + (a+1) = (t^2 - u1)(t^2 - u2)[/tex]

Simply write the expression

[tex](a+1)t^4 -2(a-2b-1)t^2 + (a+1)=(\sqrt{a+1}t^2+\alpha t+\sqrt{a+1})(\sqrt{a+1}t^2+\beta t +\sqrt{a+1})[/tex]

and compute [itex]\alpha,\,\beta[/itex].

but where do this coefficient come from:
[tex]\sqrt{a+1} [/tex]
Is there a general formula to expend a quartic? Or am I missing something obvious
Thanks.

Well, I started trying to express the quartic as a product of two second order polinomials, ending up with five equations for six coefficients, which meant there is no unique expression, so the logical approach was to use the symmetry of the highest and lowest term.

What is meant by "Integral Over A Hemisphere"?

Integral Over A Hemisphere is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the area or volume of a shape that is bounded by a hemisphere or half-sphere. This can be done using integration techniques in calculus.

What is the formula for calculating the integral over a hemisphere?

The formula for calculating the integral over a hemisphere depends on the specific function being integrated. In general, it involves using the limits of integration to determine the bounds of the hemisphere and then evaluating the integral using appropriate techniques.

What is the difference between a surface integral and an integral over a hemisphere?

A surface integral involves calculating the area or volume of a shape that is bounded by a general surface, while an integral over a hemisphere specifically involves calculating the area or volume of a shape bounded by a hemisphere. This means that the limits of integration and the techniques used may differ between the two types of integrals.

What are some real-world applications of the integral over a hemisphere?

The integral over a hemisphere has many applications in physics and engineering, such as calculating the volume of a hemisphere-shaped container, determining the mass or charge distribution of a hemispherical object, or finding the center of mass of a hemisphere. It is also used in calculating the flux of a vector field through a hemisphere.

Are there any challenges associated with calculating the integral over a hemisphere?

Yes, there can be challenges in calculating the integral over a hemisphere, especially when dealing with complex functions or surfaces. The choice of limits of integration and the integration techniques used can greatly affect the accuracy and efficiency of the calculation. In some cases, numerical methods may be necessary to approximate the integral over a hemisphere.