1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral over a sphere

1. Jul 19, 2005 #1
    let [tex]B_n(r) = \{x \epsilon R^n| |x| \le r\} [/tex] be the sphere around the origin of radius r in [tex] R^n. [/tex] let [tex] V_n(r) = \int_{B_n(r)} dV [/tex] be the volume of [tex]B_n(r)[/tex].

a)show that [tex] V_n(r) = r^n * V_n(1) [/tex]
    b)write [tex] B_n(1) [/tex] as [tex] I*J(x) * B_{n-2}(x,y), [/tex] where I is a fixed interval for the variable x, J an interval for y dependent on x, and [tex]B_{n-2}(x,y) [/tex] a ball in [tex] R^{n-2} [/tex] with a radius dependent on x and y. this decomposition should allow for use of fubini's theorem in part c)

c)find [tex]V_n(1) [/tex] in terms of [tex] V_{n-2}(1)[/tex]

d)find [tex] V_n(1) [/tex] in terms of only n (eg. find a closed form for [tex] V_n(1) [/tex])

for b), is the answer
    [tex] B_n(1) = \{I, J \epsilon R^n, B_{n-2}(x,y) \epsilon R^{n-2} | I \epsilon [0,1], J \epsilon [-\sqrt{1-x^2}}, \sqrt{1-x^2}], B_{n-2}(x,y) \epsilon [0,1]*[0,1]*[0,1]\} [/tex]
    not sure about the last part...how do i show that radius of B_{n-2}(x,y) is dependent on x and y?

for c), i found the answer to be [tex] V_n(1) = V_{n-2}(1) * \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{1} r dr d{\theta} [/tex] (using polar coordinates)

i'm stuck on d). what does it mean by "closed form"
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, what have you done on this?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?