How Is the Volume of a Sphere Calculated in Higher Dimensions?

In summary, the conversation discusses the volume of a sphere in n-dimensional space, denoted as V_n(r), and its relation to the radius r and the volume of a unit sphere, V_n(1). It is shown that V_n(r) is equal to r^n multiplied by V_n(1). Additionally, B_n(1) is decomposed into I, J, and B_{n-2}(x,y) in order to use Fubini's theorem. This decomposition allows for V_n(1) to be expressed in terms of V_{n-2}(1). It is also shown that V_n(1) can be written in terms of n, but a closed form for this expression is still needed
rocket
let [tex]B_n(r) = \{x \epsilon R^n| |x| \le r\} [/tex] be the sphere around the origin of radius r in [tex] R^n. [/tex] let [tex] V_n(r) = \int_{B_n(r)} dV [/tex] be the volume of [tex]B_n(r)[/tex].

a)show that [tex] V_n(r) = r^n * V_n(1) [/tex]
b)write [tex] B_n(1) [/tex] as [tex] I*J(x) * B_{n-2}(x,y), [/tex] where I is a fixed interval for the variable x, J an interval for y dependent on x, and [tex]B_{n-2}(x,y) [/tex] a ball in [tex] R^{n-2} [/tex] with a radius dependent on x and y. this decomposition should allow for use of fubini's theorem in part c)

c)find [tex]V_n(1) [/tex] in terms of [tex] V_{n-2}(1)[/tex]

d)find [tex] V_n(1) [/tex] in terms of only n (eg. find a closed form for [tex] V_n(1) [/tex])

for b), is the answer
[tex] B_n(1) = \{I, J \epsilon R^n, B_{n-2}(x,y) \epsilon R^{n-2} | I \epsilon [0,1], J \epsilon [-\sqrt{1-x^2}}, \sqrt{1-x^2}], B_{n-2}(x,y) \epsilon [0,1]*[0,1]*[0,1]\} [/tex]
not sure about the last part...how do i show that radius of B_{n-2}(x,y) is dependent on x and y?

for c), i found the answer to be [tex] V_n(1) = V_{n-2}(1) * \int_{0}^{2 \pi} \int_{0}^{1} r dr d{\theta} [/tex] (using polar coordinates)

i'm stuck on d). what does it mean by "closed form"

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, what have you done on this?

and how do i go about finding it?

a) To show that V_n(r) = r^n * V_n(1), we can use the change of variables formula for integrals. Let x = ry, where y is a vector in R^n. Then, the integral becomes V_n(r) = \int_{B_n(r)} dV = \int_{B_n(1)} \frac{1}{r^n} dV = \frac{1}{r^n} * V_n(1). Therefore, V_n(r) = r^n * V_n(1).

b) To write B_n(1) as I*J(x) * B_{n-2}(x,y), we can use polar coordinates. Let x = (r, \theta, \phi, ..., \psi), where r is the radius and \theta, \phi, ..., \psi are the angles in R^{n-1}. Then, I = [0,1], J(x) = [-\sqrt{1-r^2}, \sqrt{1-r^2}], and B_{n-2}(x,y) = [0,1]^{n-2}. This decomposition allows us to use Fubini's theorem in part c).

c) Using Fubini's theorem, we can express V_n(1) in terms of V_{n-2}(1) as V_n(1) = \int_{B_n(1)} dV = \int_{I} \int_{J(x)} \int_{B_{n-2}(x,y)} dV = \int_{I} \int_{-\sqrt{1-x^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}} \int_{B_{n-2}(x,y)} dV dx dy = \int_{I} \int_{-\sqrt{1-x^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}} V_{n-2}(1) dx dy = V_{n-2}(1) * \int_{I} \int_{-\sqrt{1-x^2}}^{\sqrt{1-x^2}} dx dy = V_{n-2}(1) * \int_{I} 2\sqrt{1-x^2} dx = 2V_{n-2}(1) * \int_{0}^{1} \sqrt{1-x^

What is an integral over a sphere?

An integral over a sphere is a type of mathematical calculation that involves finding the total value of a function over the surface of a sphere. It is represented by the symbol ∫∫∫ and is used in various fields of science and engineering.

How is an integral over a sphere different from a regular integral?

An integral over a sphere is different from a regular integral because it involves a surface area instead of a one-dimensional interval. This means that the limits of integration are given in terms of angles and radii instead of numbers.

What is the formula for calculating an integral over a sphere?

The formula for calculating an integral over a sphere is ∫∫∫f(r,θ,ϕ)sin(θ)dϕdθdr, where r represents the radius, θ represents the polar angle, and ϕ represents the azimuthal angle. The sin(θ) term accounts for the curvature of the sphere.

What is the physical significance of an integral over a sphere?

An integral over a sphere has various physical significance depending on the specific context it is used in. In physics, it can represent the total mass or charge distribution of a spherical object. In electromagnetism, it can represent the total flux or radiation received by a spherical surface. In mathematics, it can represent the total surface area or volume of a sphere.

What are some practical applications of an integral over a sphere?

Some practical applications of an integral over a sphere include calculating the gravitational potential of a spherical body, determining the electric field of a charged sphere, and finding the probability of finding an electron in a given region of an atom. It is also used in computer graphics to calculate lighting and shading effects on spherical objects.