1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral Over CFds

1. Sep 28, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For F = (x^2+y)i + (y-x)j, calculate the integral over C of Fds for r = (t, t^2) where t goes from 0 to 1.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know the integral over C of fds is f*sqrt(r'(t)^2+r^2*theta'(t)^2) dt. But I have no theta in this question, is this the wrong integral?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that's the wrong integral. This problem has nothing to do with polar coordinates. You have ##\vec r(t) =\langle x(t),y(t)\rangle = \langle t,t^2\rangle##. Write the integral in terms of ##t##.

4. Sep 28, 2014 #3
    So F would be (2t^2)i + (t^2 - t)j. And dr is just <1, 2t>dt. But how would I integrate with respect to ds if I end up with a dt?

5. Sep 28, 2014 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your integral is stated with an Fds. I don't think that is an arc length integral, but then you haven't told us what that notation means. F is a vector. What is ds? I would assume you mean ##\vec F\cdot d\vec s## which might otherwise be written ##\vec F\cdot \hat T~ds## or ##\vec F\cdot d\vec r##. In any case I expect you would evaluate it as ##\int\vec F\cdot \vec r'(t)~dt##.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted