1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral ? please help

1. Nov 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    double integral of 2/(2-x^2+y^2) x's from -y to y and y's from 0 to sqrt(2)/2
    3. The attempt at a solution
    okay so i first started by using a trig substitution
    and can i call a=(2+y^2) my a to simplify things so i get
    2/(a-x^2) x=sqrt(a)sin(t)
    dx=sqrt(a)cos(t)dt
    then we get 2/(sqrt(a)) ln|sec(t)+tan(t)| evaluated from -y to y
    then i get 2ln|(y+sqrt(a))(sqrt(a)-y))| after i simplified then I’m not sure what to do here .

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2009 #2

lanedance

Homework Helper

have you considered a double variable change?

based on the shape of the intergation region, i looked at a basis rotated by pi/4 & scaled to simplifythe integral, which ithink simplified things a fair bit...

that said it still a bit messy & i didn't follow it all the way through...

Last edited: Nov 7, 2009
  4. Nov 7, 2009 #3
    this original integral was rotated by pi/4 , do you know where i could look at an example of this.

5. Nov 7, 2009 #4

lanedance

Homework Helper

do you man you had already rotated teh coordinates?

not really sure about an example, but by the rotation i meant try a subsititution something like
    y = u+v
    x = u-v

this give the roatated basis frame. You just need to compute a Jacobian (which will eb a constat number in thsi case) & work out the limits

for the region of integration, i had it as a (90,45,45) triangle with hypotenuse at y = 1/sqrt(2) and short sides along y=x, and y=-x

in the variable change, the y=x and y=-x beome the varibale axis (u&v) and with a bit of work you should be able to read off the limts

though as mentioned i haven't tried this through fully, just seems like its worth an attempt

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook