1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral problem.(arc length)

1. May 25, 2005 #1
    my problem is to find the arc length of [tex]y=e^x[/tex] between 0 and 1

what i've got is [tex]\int_{0}^{1} \sqrt{1+(e^x)^2}dx[/tex] which i then substitute [tex]u=e^x[/tex] giving [tex]\int_{1}^{e} \frac{\sqrt{1+u^2}}{u^2}u du[/tex] which i then sub in v=[tex]\sqrt{1+u^2}[/tex] giving [tex]\int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v^2}{(v^2-1)^2} dv = \int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v}{(v^2-1)} dv = \int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v}{(v-1)(v+1)} dv[/tex] which then needs to be integrated using partial fractions, and this is where i run into problems

i get [tex]\frac{1}{2} \int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{1}{v-1}+\frac{1}{v+1}dv[/tex] which results in my getting an answer of 1.

the book on the other hand gets [tex]\int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}}1+ \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{v-1}-\frac{\frac{1}{2}}{v+1}dv[/tex] but i cant see how they got the 1, or the negative sign on the second fraction

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think you have a problem there.EDIT;It doesn't work.Well,when u got rid of the square in the variable "v".

Daniel.

4. May 25, 2005 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

This equality is wrong:
    [tex]\int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v^2}{(v^2-1)^2} dv = \int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v}{(v^2-1)} dv[/tex]

5. May 25, 2005 #4
    yeah, i am seeing that...the book jumps from [tex]\int_{1}^{e} \frac{\sqrt{1+u^2}}{u^2}u du[/tex] to [tex]\int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v}{(v^2-1)} dv[/tex] and (without checking) i figured [tex]\frac{x^2}{y^2}=\frac{x}{y}[/tex] my mistake. now i'm really confused, because i see how they get [tex]\int_{1}^{e} \frac{\sqrt{1+u^2}}{u^2}u du[/tex] but dont know where to go from there now.

6. May 25, 2005 #5

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

[tex] \int_{1}^{e} \sqrt{\frac{1}{u^{2}}+1} \ du [/tex]

Make the sub.

[tex]\frac{1}{u} =\sinh t [/tex]

Daniel.

7. May 25, 2005 #6

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

From here, [tex]\int_{1}^{e} \frac{\sqrt{1+u^2}}{u} du[/tex][/quote]

try the substitution [tex]u=1/t[/tex]

8. May 25, 2005 #7
    can anyone see what the book did(i would like to get it solved the same way they did it.) up to the point where it subs in v i can see what they did, but when i sub in v i get [tex]\int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v^2}{(v^2-1)^2} dv [/tex] and dont know how they got the roots of it.
    and even then i dont see how they got the 1 and the negative in the partial fraction.

9. May 25, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

GCT,you're not being original...:wink:

Daniel.

10. May 26, 2005 #9

GCT

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

11. May 27, 2005 #10

OlderDan

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the book makes that jump, it is a typographical error. It should be

[tex]\int_{1}^{e} \frac{\sqrt{1+u^2}}{u^2}u du = \int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v^2}{(v^2-1)} dv[/tex]

And their result follows. The u in this equation is just the original y, and v is as you defined it. Taking it from the top

[tex]y = e^x [/tex]

[tex] dy = e^x dx = ydx \Rightarrow dx = \frac{{dy}}{y}[/tex]

[tex] ds = \sqrt {dx^2 + dy^2 } = \left( {\sqrt {\frac{1}{{y^2 }} + 1} } \right)dy = \frac{{\sqrt {1 + y^2 } }}{y}dy\left( { = \frac{{\sqrt {1 + y^2 } }}{{y^2 }}ydy} \right) [/tex]

[tex] v = \sqrt {1 + y^2 } \Rightarrow dv = \frac{1}{{2v}}2ydy = \frac{{ydy}}{v} \Rightarrow dy = \frac{v}{y}dv [/tex]

[tex] v^2 = 1 + y^2 \Rightarrow y^2 = v^2 - 1 [/tex]

[tex] ds = \frac{{\sqrt {1 + y^2 } }}{y}dy = \frac{v}{y} \cdot \frac{v}{y}dv = \frac{{v^2 }}{{y^2 }}dv = \frac{{v^2 }}{{v^2 - 1}}dv [/tex]

[tex] ds = \left( {1 + \frac{1}{{v^2 - 1}}} \right)dv = \left( {1 + \frac{1}{{v - 1}} \cdot \frac{1}{{v + 1}}} \right)dv = \left( {1 + \frac{{\frac{1}{2}}}{{v - 1}} - \frac{{\frac{1}{2}}}{{v + 1}}} \right)dv [/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?