Integral problem.(arc length)

ds = \left( {1 + \frac{{\frac{1}{2}}}{{v - 1}} - \frac{{\frac{1}{2}}}{{v + 1}}} \right)dv \int_1^e {ds} = \int_{\sqrt 2 }^{\sqrt {1 + e^2 } } {1 + \frac{{\frac{1}{2}}}{{v - 1}} - \frac{{\frac{1}{2}}}{{v + 1}}} dv ds = \int_1^e {\frac{{\sqrt {1 + y^2 } }}{y}dy} = \int_{\sqrt 2
Vadim
my problem is to find the arc length of [tex]y=e^x[/tex] between 0 and 1

what I've got is [tex]\int_{0}^{1} \sqrt{1+(e^x)^2}dx[/tex] which i then substitute [tex]u=e^x[/tex] giving [tex]\int_{1}^{e} \frac{\sqrt{1+u^2}}{u^2}u du[/tex] which i then sub in v=[tex]\sqrt{1+u^2}[/tex] giving [tex]\int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v^2}{(v^2-1)^2} dv = \int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v}{(v^2-1)} dv = \int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v}{(v-1)(v+1)} dv[/tex] which then needs to be integrated using partial fractions, and this is where i run into problems

i get [tex]\frac{1}{2} \int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{1}{v-1}+\frac{1}{v+1}dv[/tex] which results in my getting an answer of 1.

the book on the other hand gets [tex]\int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}}1+ \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{v-1}-\frac{\frac{1}{2}}{v+1}dv[/tex] but i can't see how they got the 1, or the negative sign on the second fraction

Physics news on Phys.org
Vadim said:

what I've got is [tex]\int_{0}^{1} \sqrt{1+(e^x)^2}dx[/tex] which i then substitute [tex]u=e^x[/tex] giving [tex]\int_{1}^{e} \frac{\sqrt{1+u^2}}{u^2}u du[/tex] which i then sub in v=[tex]\sqrt{1+u^2}[/tex] giving [tex]\int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v^2}{(v^2-1)^2} dv = \int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v}{(v^2-1)} dv = \int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v}{(v-1)(v+1)} dv[/tex] which then needs to be integrated using partial fractions, and this is where i run into problems

i get [tex]\frac{1}{2} \int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{1}{v-1}+\frac{1}{v+1}dv[/tex] which results in my getting an answer of 1.

the book on the other hand gets [tex]\int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}}1+ \frac{\frac{1}{2}}{v-1}-\frac{\frac{1}{2}}{v+1}dv[/tex] but i can't see how they got the 1, or the negative sign on the second fraction

I think you have a problem there.EDIT;It doesn't work.Well,when u got rid of the square in the variable "v".

Daniel.

Vadim said:

This equality is wrong:
[tex]\int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v^2}{(v^2-1)^2} dv = \int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v}{(v^2-1)} dv[/tex]

yeah, i am seeing that...the book jumps from [tex]\int_{1}^{e} \frac{\sqrt{1+u^2}}{u^2}u du[/tex] to [tex]\int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v}{(v^2-1)} dv[/tex] and (without checking) i figured [tex]\frac{x^2}{y^2}=\frac{x}{y}[/tex] my mistake. now I'm really confused, because i see how they get [tex]\int_{1}^{e} \frac{\sqrt{1+u^2}}{u^2}u du[/tex] but don't know where to go from there now.

[tex] \int_{1}^{e} \sqrt{\frac{1}{u^{2}}+1} \ du [/tex]

Make the sub.

[tex]\frac{1}{u} =\sinh t [/tex]

Daniel.

From here, [tex]\int_{1}^{e} \frac{\sqrt{1+u^2}}{u} du[/tex][/quote]

try the substitution [tex]u=1/t[/tex]

can anyone see what the book did(i would like to get it solved the same way they did it.) up to the point where it subs in v i can see what they did, but when i sub in v i get [tex]\int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v^2}{(v^2-1)^2} dv [/tex] and don't know how they got the roots of it.
and even then i don't see how they got the 1 and the negative in the partial fraction.

Vadim said:
yeah, i am seeing that...the book jumps from [tex]\int_{1}^{e} \frac{\sqrt{1+u^2}}{u^2}u du[/tex] to [tex]\int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v}{(v^2-1)} dv[/tex] and (without checking) i figured [tex]\frac{x^2}{y^2}=\frac{x}{y}[/tex] my mistake. now I'm really confused, because i see how they get [tex]\int_{1}^{e} \frac{\sqrt{1+u^2}}{u^2}u du[/tex] but don't know where to go from there now.

If the book makes that jump, it is a typographical error. It should be

[tex]\int_{1}^{e} \frac{\sqrt{1+u^2}}{u^2}u du = \int_{\sqrt{2}}^{\sqrt{1+e^2}} \frac{v^2}{(v^2-1)} dv[/tex]

And their result follows. The u in this equation is just the original y, and v is as you defined it. Taking it from the top

[tex]y = e^x [/tex]

[tex] dy = e^x dx = ydx \Rightarrow dx = \frac{{dy}}{y}[/tex]

[tex] ds = \sqrt {dx^2 + dy^2 } = \left( {\sqrt {\frac{1}{{y^2 }} + 1} } \right)dy = \frac{{\sqrt {1 + y^2 } }}{y}dy\left( { = \frac{{\sqrt {1 + y^2 } }}{{y^2 }}ydy} \right) [/tex]

[tex] v = \sqrt {1 + y^2 } \Rightarrow dv = \frac{1}{{2v}}2ydy = \frac{{ydy}}{v} \Rightarrow dy = \frac{v}{y}dv [/tex]

[tex] v^2 = 1 + y^2 \Rightarrow y^2 = v^2 - 1 [/tex]

[tex] ds = \frac{{\sqrt {1 + y^2 } }}{y}dy = \frac{v}{y} \cdot \frac{v}{y}dv = \frac{{v^2 }}{{y^2 }}dv = \frac{{v^2 }}{{v^2 - 1}}dv [/tex]

[tex] ds = \left( {1 + \frac{1}{{v^2 - 1}}} \right)dv = \left( {1 + \frac{1}{{v - 1}} \cdot \frac{1}{{v + 1}}} \right)dv = \left( {1 + \frac{{\frac{1}{2}}}{{v - 1}} - \frac{{\frac{1}{2}}}{{v + 1}}} \right)dv [/tex]

1. What is an integral problem?

An integral problem involves finding the area under a curve or the length of a curve using the mathematical concept of integration.

2. What is arc length?

Arc length is the distance along a curve or arc. It is found by integrating the length of infinitesimally small line segments along the curve.

3. How is arc length related to integral problems?

Arc length is often calculated using integrals, as it involves finding the length of a curve. By using integration, we can find the exact length of a curve instead of estimating it with straight lines.

4. What is the formula for finding arc length using integrals?

The formula for finding arc length using integrals is: L = ∫√(1 + (dy/dx)^2) dx, where L is the length of the curve, dy/dx is the derivative of the function, and dx is the infinitesimal change in x.

5. Can arc length be found using other methods besides integrals?

Arc length can also be found using the Pythagorean theorem and basic geometry, but this method is only accurate for simple curves. Integration is a more precise method for calculating arc length for more complex curves.