1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral Problem

1. Feb 7, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Integral (u^4 +1) du/(u^5+3u)

2. Relevant equations
    I don't know how to solve this integral. I don't know how to simplify it or what to do.

3. The attempt at a solution
    It is not a form of dt/t. I tried to substitute trig functions and got nowhere. I thought it might be able to be solved by partial fractions but no.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2016 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Partial fractions is in fact a good idea, although a little tricky. Here's a hint. Try$$
    \frac{u^4+1}{u^5+3u}=\frac{u^4+1}{u(u^4+3)}=\frac A u +\frac {Bu^3}{u^4+3}$$

4. Feb 8, 2016 #3
    Thank you. I will see how that works, although I probably would have tried Bu^4+ Cu^3 +Du^2 +Eu +F. How do you know C, D, E and F = 0? I am asking myself this question.

5. Feb 8, 2016 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Perhaps LCKurtz is cleverer than either of us, but I would have made it easier than you by doing:

##\frac{A}{u} + \frac{X}{u^4 + 3}## where ##A## is a constant and ##X## is a polynomial in ##u##. You can then solve for ##X## without all the variables for each coefficient. Perhaps then half way through this calculation, like me, you see the shortcut that LCK saw.

6. Feb 8, 2016 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In general, a partial fraction for
    [tex] f(u) = \frac{u^4+1}{u(u^4+3)} [/tex]
    would have the form of a sum of terms like ##P(u)/Q(u)##, where the degree of ##P## is at least one less than the degree of ##Q##. Thus
    [tex] \begin{array}{rcl} \displaystyle \frac{u^4+1}{u(u^4+3)} &=& \displaystyle \frac{A}{u} + \frac{Bu^3 + Cu^2 + Du+E}{u^4+3}\\
    & =& \displaystyle \frac{A(u^4+3) + u(Bu^3 + Cu^2 + Du+E)}{u(u^4+3)}
    \end{array} [/tex]
    The numerator above is a polynomial of degree 4 that must be equal to ##u^4+1## for all u, so you can determine unique values of ##A,B,C,D,E## from that.

7. Feb 8, 2016 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I wasn't sure it would work, but noticing that the numerator had only ##u^4## and a constant term, and that my proposed partial fractions would generate only terms like that, it seemed worth trying it. Had it not worked, one of the methods others have suggested would have been necessary.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  8. Feb 10, 2016 #7

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A way to get this: (not necessarily any better than what's been said)

##\displaystyle \frac{u^4+1}{u^5+3u} ##
    ##\displaystyle = \frac{3u^4+3}{3u(u^4+3)} ##

##\displaystyle = \frac{2u^4 +u^4+3}{3u(u^4+3)} ##

##\displaystyle = \frac{2u^4}{3u(u^4+3)}+ \frac{u^4+3}{3u(u^4+3)} ##

##\displaystyle = \frac{2u^3}{3(u^4+3)}+ \frac{1}{3u} ##​

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted