Solve Integral Problem: L.H.S w/ a,b,x0

• Thread starter princepolo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation is discussing an integral problem involving a distribution function and the desire to solve for the variable lambda. The recommended approach is to use LaTex and Mathematica to program and solve the problem numerically.
princepolo
Can you you solve this Integral problem

Dear Friends
Can youn help me to integrate the follownig formula
L.H.S = Integrate[1-6*Lambda/x*Coth(x/2*Lambda)+12*(Lambda^2/x^2))*x^3*g(x)dx] / Integrate[x^3*g(x)dx]
Where g(x) = a*exp[-0.5/b^2*ln(x/x0)^2] is the distribution function
where a= 51.5801
b=0.9585
x0=5.4073
I like to solve for Lambda, where the L.H.S is determined experimentally
Thank you very much for your cooperation.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
princepolo said:
Dear Friends
Can youn help me to integrate the follownig formula
L.H.S = Integrate[1-6*Lambda/x*Coth(x/2*Lambda)+12*(Lambda^2/x^2))*x^3*g(x)dx] / Integrate[x^3*g(x)dx]
Where g(x) = a*exp[-0.5/b^2*ln(x/x0)^2] is the distribution function
where a= 51.5801
b=0.9585
x0=5.4073
I like to solve for Lambda, where the L.H.S is determined experimentally
Thank you very much for your cooperation.

Hey Prince. That's hard to follow. Welcome to PF. We use LaTex in here and you may wish to learn to use it if you post frequently. Check out the thread in the Physics Forum about using LaTex. This is what I think it is:

[tex]\frac{\int_u^v \left(1-\frac{6\lambda}{x}Coth(\frac{\lambda x}{2})+12(\frac{\lambda^2}{x^2})x^3 g(x)\right)dx}{\int_u^v x^3 g(x)dx}[/tex]

With u and v as the limits of integration

Maybe that's close. Correct it if necessary. Really, I'd just program it into Mathematica as a function and solve it numerically:

f([itex]\lambda[/itex])=NIntegrate[g(x,[itex]\lambda[/itex]),{x,u,v}]

Plot it for starters and see where the LHS meets your value. Then can use NSolve:

NSolve[f([itex]\lambda[/itex])==my value]

(or whatever else it takes in Mathematica to get a numerical answer)

Dear Friend,

Thank you for reaching out to us with your question. I am always happy to help with solving problems.

To solve this integral problem, we will need to use some techniques from calculus. First, we can simplify the integrand by expanding the Coth function using its definition: Coth(x) = (e^x + e^(-x)) / (e^x - e^(-x)). This will give us a polynomial expression in terms of x and Lambda.

Next, we can use integration by parts to integrate the first term in the numerator, and then use substitution to evaluate the remaining integrals. This will give us a final expression in terms of Lambda.

To solve for Lambda, we can set the expression equal to the experimental value of the L.H.S and use numerical methods, such as Newton's method, to find the root of the equation.

I hope this helps with your problem. Let me know if you need any further assistance. Best of luck with your calculations!

1. What is an integral problem?

An integral problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is represented by the symbol ∫ and is solved using integration techniques.

2. What does L.H.S mean in the context of solving an integral problem?

L.H.S stands for "Left Hand Side" and refers to the expression on the left side of an equation. In the context of solving an integral problem, the L.H.S is the integral expression that needs to be evaluated.

3. What do a, b, and x0 represent in an integral problem?

In an integral problem, a and b represent the limits of integration, which define the interval over which the integral is to be evaluated. x0 represents the variable or function that is being integrated.

4. How do you solve an integral problem?

To solve an integral problem, you need to first evaluate the integral expression using integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or trigonometric substitution. Then, you can plug in the limits of integration and simplify the expression to get the final answer.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving integral problems?

Integral problems have many real-world applications, including calculating the area under a curve in physics and engineering, determining the volume of irregular shapes in architecture and construction, and finding the total cost or profit in economics. They are also used in various scientific fields to model and analyze continuous processes.