(tanx)^2=[(secx)^2]-1

Last edited:
the trig identity is tangent

but my integral is
tangent square

Gib Z
Homework Helper
Lol

Are you familiar with what Mathgician said? Its a well known Trigonometric Identity, [itex]\tan^2 x = \sec^2 x -1[/itex]

Knowing that,

[tex]\int \tan^2 x dx = \int (\sec^2 x - 1) dx = \int \sec^2 x dx - \int 1 dx = (\int \sec^2 x dx ) - x[/tex]

For the integral of (sec x) squared, if you don't already know it, try differentiating tan x, what is that?

If you are doing integrals right now, you have to have come across the derivative of tanx from differential calc class. No offense, but its the most basic derivative and identity is so common, I just thought you already should have known. I've seen you help many people on this board with integrals, I assumed that you would already knew or maybe you just had a brain fart or something. Its alright I have moments like these also.:cool:

Last edited:
Gib Z
Homework Helper
In fact, I just look through your attachment right there. You didn't even need Mathgicians or my suggestions for that identity, you got it yourself! 1/cos^2 x is sec^2 x :D You just needed to notice that was the derivative of tan x, instead of using cos^2 x = (1+cos 2x)/2

yeeepppp thank you very much

i got it
it was right under my nose