1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral Question

1. Feb 27, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hi, I'm trying to take the integral of x/(x^2-2x+5) dx but I'm not sure what to do.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I started by completeing the square in the denominator giving me the integral of x/((x-1)^2+4)) dx but I am not sure where to go from there. I have the correct answer for it but I need to understand the steps involved getting there.

EDIT: Okay, after spending a decent amount of time on this problem I finally look for some place to get help, and 5 minutes later I think I come up with a solution.

First, I set u = x^2 - 2x +5, du/2 - 2/2 = x. Substituted back in which gave me (1/2)integral( (du-2)/u ) which I then split into (1/2)integral(du/u) - (1/2)integral(2/u).

Taking the integral of the first part gave me (1/2)ln(x^2 - 2x +5). For the second half, I substitued the u values back into the equation which gave me: -(1/2)integral(2/(x^2 - 2x + 5). I completed the square in the denominator which gave me -integral( 1/((x-1)^2+4 ).

Integrating that part of the equation gives me -(1/2)arctan((x-1)/2).

So my final answer is (1/2)ln(x^2 - 2x +5) - (1/2)arctan((x-1)/2) + C. Can someone please confirm my steps? Sorry if my work is hard to follow. I wasn't sure how to make the proper symbols and my time is short :)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2008 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's right.

4. Feb 27, 2008 #3
    Hell, that seemed clever(or I suck)

I would've done partial fraction decomposition, and heaven knows NO ONE likes doing that

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?