1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral question

1. Jul 23, 2008 #1
    Hello everybody!

I have a question for you concerning the use of exponentials as an integrating technique :)

Here it is:

consider the integral: Int[a*e^(bx)*sin(cx)] dx - a very elegant solution is to go from R into C, considering sincx = Im{e(icx)} , so

Int[a*e^(bx)*sin(cx)] dx = Im{Int[a*e^(bx)*e(icx)] dx} which can be easily calculated :)

so far so good.

But when I apply this 'technique' to the following integral something goes wrong:

Int(from 0 to pi/2) [ln(sinx)] dx

considering sinx = Im(e^(ix)}, the integral gets to:

Im{Int(from 0 to pi/2) [lne^(ix)] dx} = Im{Int(from 0 to pi/2) [ix] dx} = Im{i/2*x^2}l(from 0 to pi/2)} = Im{i/8*pi^2} = 1/8*pi

Now this result does not correspond to the real one: -ln(2)*pi/2

and the question is, as you might guess, WHY and when can I use such a technique to make the calculations easier :) ?

with best regards, Marin
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It doesn't work because ln(Im(e^(ix))) is not equal to Im(ln(e^(ix))). Try x=pi/2. The first expression is 0, the second is pi/2.
  4. Jul 24, 2008 #3
    Thanks, Dick!

I think I got it :) so one has to go the hard way
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?