Integral (2x+4)/(x^2+2x+3) w.r.t. x

• Thread starter dmission
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the integral of (2x+4)/(x^2+2x+3) with respect to x. The suggested method is to complete the square in the denominator, split up the fraction, take out the constants of integration, do a u-substitution for the 2x part of the numerator, and use arctan for the 4 part of the numerator. One participant struggles with the first part and asks for help, while another suggests using a substitution of u=x+1. The final solution involves using the natural logarithm and arctan functions.
dmission
how:
integral: (2x+4)/(x^2+2x+3) with respect to x, of course

Physics news on Phys.org
Complete the square in the denominator. They try something! We are not going to do your homework for you.

I tried -- best I could do in the denominator was (x+1)^2 +2, still not sure where to go from there though.

any help would be appreciated

your completing the square part is fine. after this you will need to
-spilt up the fraction
-take out the constants of integration
-do a u substitution for the 2x part of numerator
-use arctan for the 4 part of the numerator

you will notice the the part you completed the square looks almost like the arctan formula except you will need to change 2 into (sqrt2)2 that way everything in the denominator is squared.

what do you mean by take out the constants of integration?

bump, really not sure what to do :S

[tex]\int \frac{2x+4}{x^2+2x+3} dx = \int \frac{2x+4}{(x+1)^2+2} dx[/tex]

[tex]= \int \frac{2x}{(x+1)^2+2}dx + \int \frac{4}{(x+1)^2+2}}dx[/tex]

Now just recall that:

[tex]\int \frac{1}{X^2+A^2} dx = \frac{1}{A}tan^{-1}(\frac{X}{A})+k[/tex]

thanks for the reply.

I get how to take the second one, but what about the first? (2x/((x+1)^2+2))

dmission said:
thanks for the reply.

I get how to take the second one, but what about the first? (2x/((x+1)^2+2))

Try a substitution of u=x+1

yeah, but doesn't that still leave an X in the numerator?

dmission said:
yeah, but doesn't that still leave an X in the numerator?

u=x+1 => x=u-1 :smile:

ugh, never knew about that... can you please work out that portion for me? really not sure what to do...

So, tried, got:
2 * integral: (u-1)/(u^2+2), split up again,
and ultimately got:

ln((x+1)^2+2) - 2/sqrt(2)*arctan((x+1)/sqrt(2))), but apparently I'm wrong... help ?

bump, anyone?

1. What is the meaning of "Integral (2x+4)/(x^2+2x+3) w.r.t. x"?

The term "integral" in this context refers to the process of calculating the area under a curve. In this specific expression, we are finding the integral with respect to the variable x.

2. How do you solve the integral (2x+4)/(x^2+2x+3) w.r.t. x?

This integral can be solved using the method of partial fractions, where the expression is broken down into smaller fractions that are easier to integrate. After finding the partial fractions, the integral can be solved using standard integration techniques.

3. What is the purpose of finding the integral (2x+4)/(x^2+2x+3) w.r.t. x?

Finding integrals is useful in many fields of science, such as physics and engineering. It allows us to calculate important quantities like displacement, velocity, and acceleration from a given function that represents the motion of an object.

4. Can the integral (2x+4)/(x^2+2x+3) w.r.t. x be solved using a calculator?

Yes, most scientific calculators have a built-in integral function that can solve this expression. However, it is still important to understand the process of solving integrals by hand for more complex expressions.

5. How do you check if the solution to the integral (2x+4)/(x^2+2x+3) w.r.t. x is correct?

One way to check the solution is by differentiating it. If the result of the differentiation is equal to the original expression, then the solution is correct. Additionally, you can also graph both the original expression and the integral and see if they match up.