Solving Integral: dy/dx=xcos^2(x) - New Member

• Thread starter Murray_TheDog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the person is new to the forum and has difficulty with integrating by parts. They have made a mistake and need help with the problem.
Murray_TheDog
I am new to this forum, please bear with me.

Homework Statement

dy/dx=xcos^2(x)

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already gotten cos^2(x)=1/2(cos2X) but I don't know what to do with that.

Thanks for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You made a mistake applying the double angle formula, it should be [itex]\cos^2 x=\frac{1}{2}(\cos 2x + 1)[/itex]. Now use integration by parts to get rid of the x.

Last edited:
Yes, I typed in the D.A. formula wrong. I had it right on my paper though. We have not gotten to integration by parts yet. Is there another way of doing this with a u-substitution?

Thanks again for your help.

Nope, you need integration by parts here.

Murray_TheDog said:
We have not gotten to integration by parts yet. Is there another way of doing this with a u-substitution?

If you haven't gotten to integration by parts yet, then I would double check that you wrote the problem down correctly. If you are just learning u-substitution, then I think the problem may be
[tex] \int x\cos (x^2) \,dx [/tex]

The problem that you posted is a typical integration by parts problem.

Thank You everyone. I feel like I have wasted your valuable time. I did indeed misread the problem. You are correct n!kofeyn, that is exactly what the problem is asking for.

Again, sorry for bothering you all.

Murray_TheDog said:
Thank You everyone. I feel like I have wasted your valuable time. I did indeed misread the problem. You are correct n!kofeyn, that is exactly what the problem is asking for.

Again, sorry for bothering you all.

You have not wasted our time, nor have you bothered us. We wouldn't bother posting if we felt you were.

There is often confusion on this notation, as it can be unclear whether
[tex] \cos x^2 = \cos(x^2)[/tex] or [tex] \cos x^2 = (\cos x)^2 = \cos^2x [/tex]
(The first is usually what is meant.)

Please continue to post if you have questions!

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is a way of finding the total value of a function over a given interval.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you must use integration techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions. These techniques involve manipulating the integrand (the function being integrated) to make it easier to integrate.

3. What is dy/dx?

dy/dx is a notation used to represent the derivative of a function y with respect to the variable x. It represents the rate of change of y with respect to x.

4. How do you solve for dy/dx=xcos^2(x)?

To solve for dy/dx=xcos^2(x), you must use differentiation techniques such as the product rule or the chain rule. These techniques involve finding the derivative of each term in the equation and combining them using the appropriate rules.

5. What does "New Member" mean?

"New Member" refers to a new person joining a group or community. In this context, it could mean a new member joining a group of individuals who are solving the integral dy/dx=xcos^2(x).