Can this integral be solved analytically?

• Thread starter madness
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, a person in the conversation is looking for a way to solve an integral analytically instead of numerically. They suggest trying Wolfram Alpha or using contour integrals and the residue theorem. Other resources for integration techniques are also mentioned.
madness
Hi everyone.

I have an integral I would like to solve. So far I've just been solving it numerically, but I wondered if it might be possible to get an analytical result.

Here it is:

[tex]
\int_{-\infty}^{\infty} e^{k\cos(\omega t-a)}e^{-(bt-c)^2/(2\sigma^2)} dt
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Try Wolfram Alpha - it will tell you!

Thanks for the tip, but I'm just getting "standard computation time exceeded" on the website version :). I wonder if there's any point looking at contour integrals and the residue theorem?

I would try Wolfram Alpha as an indefinite integral ... that should get a quick answer!

I think that would be worth a try - otherwise try one of the standard texts on integration techniques:
Boros' "Irresistible Integrals: Symbolics, Analysis and Experiments in the Evaluation of Integrals"
Zwillinger's "The Handbook of Integration"

Or that old standby, "Table of Integrals, Series and Products" by Gradshteyn and Ryzhik!

Else it is back to numerical integration.

What is the Integral Question?

The Integral Question is a philosophical concept that explores the fundamental nature of reality and the relationship between individual experiences and the larger whole. It asks how the individual self relates to the universal consciousness and how all aspects of existence are interconnected.

Who first proposed the Integral Question?

The Integral Question was first proposed by the philosopher and psychologist Ken Wilber in the late 20th century. He developed the concept as part of his Integral Theory, which seeks to integrate different perspectives and disciplines in order to gain a more comprehensive understanding of reality.

What are the main components of the Integral Question?

The Integral Question consists of four main components: the individual, the collective, the interior (or subjective) experience, and the exterior (or objective) reality. These components are interconnected and interdependent, and understanding their relationship is key to answering the Integral Question.

Why is the Integral Question important?

The Integral Question is important because it challenges us to look beyond our own individual experiences and perspectives and consider the larger picture. It encourages us to think critically and holistically about reality and how we can create a more harmonious and integrated world.

How can the Integral Question be applied in scientific research?

The Integral Question can be applied in scientific research by encouraging a more holistic and interdisciplinary approach. It allows scientists to consider the interconnectedness of various systems and phenomena, and to integrate different perspectives and methods in order to gain a more comprehensive understanding of the natural world.