1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral Question

1. May 21, 2014 #1
    d4y/dx4 - 4 d3y/dx3 - 5 d2y/dx2 + 36 dy/dx - 36y = -8e^x

Given that λ^4 - 4λ^3 - 5λ^2 + 36λ - 36 = 0 can be factored to obtain (λ-2)^2 (λ^2 - 9) = 0

find the general solution to this equation

I can answer the question no problem BUT where does the -8 on the RHS of the equation go??

If i set y=e^λx i get λ^4 - 4λ^3 - 5λ^2 + 36λ - 36 = -8 ??

so why hasnt he factorised λ^4 - 4λ^3 - 5λ^2 + 36λ - 28 = 0

??

Totally confused. Thanks for any help.

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2014 #2

CAF123

Gold Member

That is guiding you to the general solution of the corresponding homogenous equation only. To obtain the general solution to your original equation, you also need a solution solving the equation with the term on the RHS present.

4. May 21, 2014 #3
    The differential equation you have there is an inhomogeneous differential equation.
    The characteristic polynomial that is provided in the hint provides the solution to the homogenous differential equation
    [tex]y^{(4)} - 4y^{(3)} -5y''+36y'-36y = 0[/tex]
    The final solution will be the sum of the homogenous solution and the particular solution for the imhomogenous part.

5. May 21, 2014 #4
    the particular solution is given as e^x

so the complete solution will be

λ = 2, 2, 3, -3

-> y = Ae^2x + Bxe^2x + Ce^3x + De^-3x + e^x

are you saying that the particular solution given takes care of the RHS, so I dont need to worry about it? Or do I have to include something else in the complete solution above?

thanks for the help.

EDIT

oh, i see, it doesnt want a solution to the original equation. thanks again for the help!!

Just out of interest how would the solution to the original question differ from my answer?

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  6. May 21, 2014 #5
    Yes, that is the role of the particular solution. You can think of it this way:
    We have a differential equation in the form
    [itex]\hat{D} y = f(x)[/itex]
    The general solution can be written in terms of the homogenous and particular solutions:
    [itex]y = y_{h} + y_{p}[/itex]
    which satisfy
    [itex]\hat{D} y_{h} = 0[/itex]
    [itex]\hat{D} y_{p} = f(x)[/itex]
    So, clearly,
    [itex]\hat{D} (y_{h}+y_{p}) = f(x)[/itex]

7. May 21, 2014 #6
    excellent! got it! Many thanks!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted