Solve Integral: \frac{(1-x)}{x^2}e^{x-1} dx

• Thread starter jeanf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, to solve the given integral, one can use integration by parts or a simpler solution involving the derivative of e^x/x. Using integration by parts, the solution is e^(x-1)/x + C. Using the simpler solution, the solution is -e^(-1)e^x/x + C.
jeanf
can someone show me how to do this integral:

[tex] \int \frac{(1-x)}{x^2} e^{x-1} dx[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Integration by parts works this way, but perhaps there's an easier way.

[tex]\begin{array}{l}
\int {\frac{{\left( {1 - x} \right)}}{{x^2 }}e^{x - 1} } dx = - \int {\left( {1 - x} \right)e^{x - 1} } d\left( {\frac{1}{x}} \right) = - \left( {\frac{{\left( {1 - x} \right)e^{x - 1} }}{x} - \int {\frac{1}{x}d\left( {\left( {1 - x} \right)e^{x - 1} } \right)} } \right) \\ \\
= - \frac{{\left( {1 - x} \right)e^{x - 1} }}{x} - \int {\frac{{ - xe^{x - 1} }}{x}dx} = - \frac{{\left( {1 - x} \right)e^{x - 1} }}{x} + e^{x - 1} + C = \frac{{e^{x - 1} }}{x} + C \\
\end{array}[/tex]

here's a simpler more "trivial" solution, by the way what's the derivative of e^x/x? hint, hint
[tex]I= \int \frac{(1-x)}{x^2} e^{x-1} dx[/tex]
[tex]=e^{-1} \int \frac{e^{x}dx}{x^{2}} -e^{-1} \int \frac{e^{x}dx}{x}[/tex]
[tex]J=\int \frac{e^{x}dx}{x^{2}} ,~K=\int \frac{e^{x}dx}{x}[/tex]
using integration by parts
[tex]K= \frac{e^{x}}{x}+ \int \frac{e^{x}dx}{x^{2}}[/tex]
[tex]I=e^{-1}J- \frac{e^{-1}e^{x}}{x} -e^{-1}J,~I= \frac{-e^{-1}e^{x}}{x}+C[/tex]

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve on a graph. It is denoted by the symbol ∫ and is used to find the total value of a function between two points on a graph.

2. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various methods such as integration by parts, substitution, or partial fractions. In this case, the integral \frac{(1-x)}{x^2}e^{x-1} dx can be solved using the substitution method by letting u = x-1.

3. Why is the integral of a function important?

The integral of a function is important because it allows us to find the total value of a function over a given interval. This has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering, where it is used to calculate areas, volumes, and other important quantities.

4. What is the significance of the e^(x-1) term in the integral?

The e^(x-1) term in the integral represents the exponential function, which is commonly used in many scientific and mathematical equations. In this integral, it is used to model growth or decay processes.

5. Can this integral be solved analytically?

Yes, this integral can be solved analytically using the substitution method as mentioned before. However, some integrals may not have an analytical solution, and in those cases, numerical methods can be used to approximate the value of the integral.