Proving the Positivity of a Curve-Related Integral: Hint Requested

• Thread starter Ocifer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
In summary, to show that the integral is always positive, one can use Green's Theorem and the fact that C is a positively orientated simple closed curve to rewrite the integral as a double integral over the region enclosed by C. Since this region always has a positive area, the integrand will always be positive, making the integral itself always positive.
Ocifer

Homework Statement

C is a positively orientated simple closed curve
Show that the the following integral is always positive.

[itex]\int P dx + Q dy[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am actually given a particular P and Q, but I would just like a hint on how to proceed.

The integral is presented in such a way that I am tempted to use Green's Theorem, but I'm not sure if that would make it any better. Basically, I am able to show it no problem if I pick particular curves C, and parameterize them. Can anyone give me a hint as to how to do this in the general case when I don't know C exactly.

Physics news on Phys.org

To show that the integral is always positive, you can use Green's Theorem. Since C is a positively orientated simple closed curve, you can use the fact that the area enclosed by C is always positive. Then, using Green's Theorem, you can rewrite the integral as a double integral over the region enclosed by C. This region will always have a positive area, so the integrand will always be positive. Therefore, the integral itself will always be positive. I hope this helps!

1. What is an integral-related proof?

An integral-related proof is a mathematical method used to demonstrate the truth or validity of a statement or theorem by using the properties of integrals. It involves breaking down a complex problem into smaller parts and using integral calculus to solve each part, ultimately proving the original statement.

2. Why are integral-related proofs important?

Integral-related proofs are important because they provide a rigorous and systematic way to prove mathematical statements. They also allow us to solve complex problems in a more efficient manner by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable pieces.

3. What are some common techniques used in integral-related proofs?

There are several techniques commonly used in integral-related proofs, including substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric identities, and partial fractions. These techniques allow for the manipulation and simplification of integrals, making them easier to solve.

4. Can integral-related proofs be used in real-world applications?

Yes, integral-related proofs have many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to model and solve problems involving rates of change, optimization, and area/volume calculations.

5. How can one improve their skills in using integral-related proofs?

To improve your skills in using integral-related proofs, it is important to have a strong understanding of calculus and its fundamental principles. Practice and repetition are also key, as well as studying and analyzing different types of integral-related proofs. Seeking guidance from a mentor or tutor can also be helpful in developing your skills.