Integral Separation for PhD Thesis Formulation

In summary, the PhD student is working on a formulation for integrating functions of different domains. For the mesh attached integrals, he is having trouble with the double integrals. After thinking about it, he solved the problem by adding the limits of the integrals to the derivatives.
eleteroboltz
Hey guys,

I am working on my PhD thesis formulation and I got to a doubt. I need to do some integral separations, for the mesh attached, of the form:

[itex]
\int_0^L f(x,y) d x = \sum\limits_{i=1}^{imax} \int_{x_{i-1}}^{x_i} f(x,y) \, d x
[/itex]

Of course, for the double integration in the domain, we have:

[itex]
\int_0^H\int_0^L f(x,y) d x \, dy = \sum\limits_{j=1}^{jmax} \sum\limits_{i=1}^{imax} \int_{y_{j-1}}^{y_j} \int_{x_{i-1}}^{x_i} f(x,y) \, dx \, dy
[/itex]

If I want to do the integrals above in a integration limit different than the hole domain, we get:

[itex]
\int_0^{y_j} f(x,y) \, d y = \sum\limits_{r=1}^{j} \int_{y_{r-1}}^{y_r} f(x,y) \, dy
[/itex]

[itex]
\int_0^{y_j}\int_0^{x_i} f(x,y) \, d x \, dy = \sum\limits_{r=1}^{j} \sum\limits_{q=1}^{i} \int_{y_{r-1}}^{y_r} \int_{x_{q-1}}^{x_q} f(x,y) \, dx \, dy
[/itex]

But what is really troubling me is the double integration, both in the same direction ([itex]\int_0^{y}\int_0^{y} \bullet \, d y \, dy[/itex]). How do I do the same separation for the integral:

[itex]
\int_0^{y}\int_0^{y2} f(x,y1) \, d y1 \, dy2 \, = \, ?
[/itex]

Note that [itex]y1[/itex] and [itex]y2[/itex] are dummy integral variables of [itex]y[/itex].

please guys, help me.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

• malha.png
    malha.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 498
Physics news on Phys.org
OK,
After thinking a lot about it, I got the solution

[itex]
\int_0^{y_i}\int_0^{\eta} f(x,\xi) \, d\xi \, d\eta
\, = \,
\sum\limits_{s=1}^j\sum\limits_{r=1}^{s-1} (y_s-y_{s-1}) \, \int_{\eta_{r-1}}^{\eta_r}f(x,\xi) \, d\xi\
\, + \,
\sum\limits_{s=1}^j \int_{y_{s-1}}^{y_s} \int_{\eta_{s-1}}^{\eta} f(x,\xi) \, d \xi \, d \eta
[/itex]

I attached the derivation of the expression above.

Cheers

Attachments

• 2013-07-05 21.17.05.jpg
    2013-07-05 21.17.05.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 529

1. What is integral separation for PhD thesis formulation?

Integral separation for PhD thesis formulation is a method used in scientific research to analyze and separate complex data into distinct components. This allows for a more organized and comprehensive understanding of the data, which is essential for a successful PhD thesis.

2. How does integral separation work?

Integral separation involves using mathematical and statistical techniques to identify and extract individual components from a complex dataset. This can be done through various methods such as principal component analysis, independent component analysis, or factor analysis.

3. Why is integral separation important for a PhD thesis?

Integral separation is crucial for a PhD thesis because it helps to clarify and simplify complex data, making it easier to understand and interpret. This is essential for any research study and is particularly important for a PhD thesis, which requires a high level of analysis and organization.

4. What are the benefits of using integral separation?

The main benefit of using integral separation is that it allows for a more in-depth and comprehensive analysis of complex data. This can lead to new insights and discoveries that may not have been possible without using this method. Additionally, integral separation can help to improve the accuracy and reliability of research results.

5. Are there any limitations to using integral separation?

While integral separation is a valuable tool for data analysis, it is not suitable for every type of data. The method relies on specific assumptions and may not work well with datasets that do not meet these criteria. Additionally, integral separation requires a high level of expertise and may not be accessible to all researchers.