How do I prove that a_n is a decreasing sequence of non-negative real numbers?

In summary, the problem involves showing that the sequence a_n = \sum_{k=1}^nf(k) - \int_1^nf(t)dt is decreasing and made up of non-negative real numbers when f is a continuous decreasing non-negative function on [1, oo). This is done by simplifying the expression for a_n - a_(n + 1) to only involve a single integral and then using the fact that f is strictly decreasing to show that this integral is greater than any right end point approximation, which is f(n+1) with one rectangle.
sparkster
If f is a continuous decreasing non-negative function on [1, oo) and
[itex]a_n = \sum_{k=1}^nf(k) - \int_1^nf(t)dt[/itex].

I need to show that a_n is a decreasing sequence of non-negative real numbers.

I'm working on the decreasing part. If I subtract [itex]a_n - a_{n+1}[/itex] I get

[itex]\int_1^{n+1}f(t)dt - \int_1^nf(t)dt - f(n+1)[/itex]

but I don't know how to show this is bigger than zero. I did an example with [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x^2}[/itex] and of course it worked, but it didn't help me with the proof.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ETA: Let me clarify. Looking at this graphically, I realize that if I do the subtractions, I'm going to get a positive area. But I don't know how to formalize this.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, the expression for a_n - a_(n + 1) can be simplified so that it only involves a single integral. Then you can show the desired inequality by "wisely" choosing a step function for the integral.

[itex]\int_1^{n+1}f(t)dt - \int_1^nf(t)dt = \int_n^{n+1}f(t)dt[/itex]
and since f is strictly decreasing you know that this integral is going to be greater than any right end point approximation. With 1 rectangle, such an approximation is f(n+1).

Damn...I'm embarrassed that I even asked.

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve in a graph. It is the opposite operation of differentiation and is used to find the original function when the derivative is known.

2. What is the difference between definite and indefinite integrals?

A definite integral has specific boundaries or limits, while an indefinite integral does not. In other words, a definite integral will give a numerical value, while an indefinite integral will give a general function with an arbitrary constant.

3. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you need to follow a series of steps depending on the type of integral. Some common methods include substitution, integration by parts, and using trigonometric identities. It is also important to have a good understanding of the fundamental theorem of calculus.

4. What is a sequence?

A sequence is a list of numbers that follow a specific pattern or rule. Each number in a sequence is called a term, and the position of the term is called its index. Sequences can be finite or infinite, and they can be arithmetic (where the difference between consecutive terms is constant) or geometric (where the ratio between consecutive terms is constant).

5. How is a sequence different from a series?

A sequence is a list of numbers, while a series is the sum of the terms in a sequence. In other words, a series is the result of adding all the terms in a sequence. Another key difference is that a sequence can be infinite, but a series must be finite.