1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral / Sequence question

1. Dec 29, 2005 #1
    If f is a continuous decreasing non-negative function on [1, oo) and
    [itex]a_n = \sum_{k=1}^nf(k) - \int_1^nf(t)dt[/itex].

I need to show that a_n is a decreasing sequence of non-negative real numbers.

I'm working on the decreasing part. If I subtract [itex]a_n - a_{n+1}[/itex] I get

[itex]\int_1^{n+1}f(t)dt - \int_1^nf(t)dt - f(n+1)[/itex]

but I don't know how to show this is bigger than zero. I did an example with [itex]f(x)=\frac{1}{x^2}[/itex] and of course it worked, but it didn't help me with the proof.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

ETA: Let me clarify. Looking at this graphically, I realize that if I do the subtractions, I'm going to get a positive area. But I don't know how to formalize this.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2005 #2
    First, the expression for a_n - a_(n + 1) can be simplified so that it only involves a single integral. Then you can show the desired inequality by "wisely" choosing a step function for the integral.

4. Dec 29, 2005 #3
    [itex]\int_1^{n+1}f(t)dt - \int_1^nf(t)dt = \int_n^{n+1}f(t)dt[/itex]
    and since f is strictly decreasing you know that this integral is going to be greater than any right end point approximation. With 1 rectangle, such an approximation is f(n+1).

5. Dec 29, 2005 #4
    Damn...I'm embarrassed that I even asked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?