1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral (Simplifying it)

1. Apr 18, 2006 #1
    I don't understand this simplification given in this problem:

Q: At [itex] t=0 [/itex] a hot gas is on one side and a cold gas is on the other: [itex] u_0 = 1 [/itex] for [itex] x>0 [/itex], [itex] -1 [/itex] for [itex] x>0 [/itex]. Write down the solution:
    [tex] u(t,x)=\int_{\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi t}}e^{-(x-y)^2/4t}u_0(y)dy[/tex]

to [itex] u_{tt}=u_{xx} [/itex] and with [itex] z = y-x [/itex] simplify to:
    [tex] u(t,x) = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi t}}\int_[-x}^{x} e^{-z^2/4t}dz [/tex]

So my attempt thus far (with very little progress):

[tex] u(t,x)=\int_{\infty}^{\infty} \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi t}}e^{-(x-y)^2/4t}u_0(y)dy[/tex]
    [tex] u(t,x) = \frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi t}}\int_[-x}^{x} e^{-z^2/4t}dz [/tex]

[tex] z = y-x \Rightarrow -z = -y+x \Rightarrow y = z+x[/tex], [tex] dy=dz+dx [/tex]

[tex] u(t,x)=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi t}} \int_{\infty}^{\infty} e^{-(-z)^2/4t}u_0(z+x)(dz+dx)[/tex]

[tex] u(t,x)=\frac{1}{2\sqrt{\pi t}} \int_{\infty}^{\infty} e^{-z^2/4t}u_0(z+x)(dz+dx)[/tex]

Things get sketchy here (assuming things are even right above):
    [tex]u_0(z+x) = \left\{ \begin{array}{c} 1 \,\,\,\, ,0 > z+x \\ -1 \,\, ,0<z+x \end{array}[/tex]

[tex]u(t,x) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{\pi t}}\left( \int_{-\infty}^{0}e^{-z^2/4t}(-1)(dz+dx) + \int_{0}^{\infty}e^{-z^2/4t}(dz+dx) \right)[/tex]

and that's it folks...

I don't understand how the bounds of the integration made the jump from [itex] (\infty,-\infty) [/itex] to [tex] (-x,x) [/itex]. I definitely need some help :)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2006 #2

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. x must be treated as a constant. So dy=dz
    So in the first case, you have 0>z+x so z<-x. So you must integrate from -infinity to -x. In the second case, z>-x so you integrate from -x to plus infinity. a quick glance at the integrals gives me the impression that after rewriting the integrals a little and using the parity of the integrands, you will get a difference of two integrals that will cancel outside of the interval [-x,x]. But I did not work it out explicitly.

4. Apr 18, 2006 #3
    Why is this so? Sorry, I'm not seeing it. I understand why differentiating a constant is 0. But why is it held as a constant?

I'll work through it. I'm slapping myself in the face for this part:

Thanks man. I appreciate it.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2006
  5. Apr 18, 2006 #4

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because you are evaluating u(t,x). So you must think of the integral as providing the value of u(t,x) for a certain fixed value of x and t.

Patrick

6. Apr 18, 2006 #5
    Ahh beautiful. Thank you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?