Integral task. How integrate?

In summary, an integral task is a mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve. To solve an integral task, one must find the antiderivative of the function and evaluate it at the given limits of integration using techniques such as substitution or integration by parts. Integrating is a fundamental tool in mathematics with real-world applications, such as finding area, work, and expected value. There are two types of integrals: definite and indefinite. To check the correctness of an integral answer, one can take the derivative of the result or use online tools or graphing calculators to verify it with the original function.
Tasy
[itex]\int \frac{x-3}{x^2+2x-5}dx[/itex]

How integrate this task?

[itex]x^2+2x-5=0[/itex]

[itex]D=24[/itex], so I can't get real root.

Physics news on Phys.org
Tasy said:
[itex]\int \frac{x-3}{x^2+2x-5}dx[/itex]

How integrate this task?

[itex]x^2+2x-5=0[/itex]

[itex]D=24[/itex], so I can't get real root.

OK, that line with the discriminant made no sense. The discriminant is greater than zero, so clearly the quadratic does have real, distinct roots.

Hint: start off with completing the square on the denominator. In other words, express the denominator in the form [itex](x+a)^2 + c[/itex] and go from there.

Last edited:

1. What is an integral task?

An integral task is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the area under a curve. It is commonly used in calculus and other branches of mathematics and science.

2. How do I solve an integral task?

The process of solving an integral task involves finding the antiderivative of the function and then evaluating it at the given limits of integration. This can be done using various techniques such as substitution, integration by parts, or partial fractions.

3. What is the purpose of integrating?

Integrating is a fundamental tool in mathematics that allows us to find the total or accumulated value of a quantity. It is used in many real-world applications, such as finding the area under a curve, calculating work and displacement in physics, and determining the expected value in statistics.

4. What are the different types of integrals?

There are two main types of integrals: definite and indefinite. A definite integral has specific limits of integration and gives a numerical value as the result. An indefinite integral does not have limits of integration and gives a function as the result, which can then be evaluated at specific points.

5. How can I check if my integral answer is correct?

One way to check the correctness of your integral answer is to take the derivative of the result and see if it matches the original function. Additionally, you can use online tools or graphing calculators to verify your answer by graphing the original function and the antiderivative.